nineteen.

"Mr. Allen, thank you for coming to see me. I'm so sorry for your loss." Nate said to Kelsey Allen's husband.

Nick and I watched Nate with Kelsey Allen's husband through the hidden camera in the Payco conference room. I gave him an earpiece in case he needed help. Deceit came more naturally for him than I had expected. He wasn't even nervous.

"Call me Michael. So, will you tell me who you are now? And why was it so important that you see me?" He was uncertain and suspicious of Nate's invitation to meet.

"We have a common interest." Nate began.

"And what would that be?"

"Alec Gallagher." The mere mention of Alec's name instantly got Michael hanging on whatever Nate had to say next.

A familiar hunger that I once experienced when Nick and Kai first found me took over. Hearing Alec's name clearly flipped a switch in him.

"What about Alec Gallagher is your concern?" Michael questioned. His eyebrows pulled together quizzically.

"Oh, did I not mention what my name is?" He said reaching his hand out, "Nathan Shepard, son of Martin Shepard. As I'm sure you know, Alec attempted to murder me and my family when I was four years old."

Michael's face changed from suspicious to shocked. He wasn't sure how to respond.

"You are supposed to be dead. Kelsey told me about your family's story when she covered it."

"How much did she tell you? Did she know why Alec didn't stop at Martin? Why did he kill my mother and Aiden? Why did he want my sister and me dead too?" Nate questioned.

I knew how important these answers were to him, but he remained emotionless.

"You would have to ask your father why he wanted to kill you." Micheal shrugged.

Nate suddenly slammed his fist against the table. The man didn't even flinch.

"If Kelsey told you anything, you would know damn well my father was innocent. Alec got your wife to help him frame my dad. After it backfired on them, when the videos leaked at the fundraiser, he killed her."

"What do you want from me then?" He was tired and didn't care much for Nate's theatrics.

"I want to know what Kelsey told you."

"She believed Alec wanted your entire family dead to ensure no one of you would come after him when you grew up... much like you are right now. He hides his crimes in plain sight. The police aren't idiots. They are just funded by Alec under the table. They look the other way as long as it isn't obvious to the outside. Kelsey knew one of you was still alive, but she thought it was Aiden. How do you know I won't hand you over to Alec? You Why do want this information?"

"I want justice for my family and yours. I want him to go to prison for the rest of his life. I want him to feel the pain he caused for both our families. Most of all, I want to gain your loyalty before Alec buys it from you. Do you believe Alec killed your wife?" Nate asked.

"Yes. I was the first one to tell the police that. Kelsey was scared of him. Everything she did to your father she did out of fear of Alec. She carried so much guilt over it. I promise you she was a good person. She wasn't like Alec. She was a puppet, and I hate myself for not being able to save her. She never really told me how bad things were. I only knew when it was too late." Michael got choked up as he spoke. His head tilted up towards the ceiling, clenching his fists to regain composure.