fifteen.

We waited in the emergency department for twenty minutes after being triaged before we saw a doctor. Bridget wanted to make sure the cardiologist that treated Bella came to see Megan with the emergency room doctor. She approached the nurses station to ask.

"Can you please page Dr. Ross in pediatric cardiology to see Megan in room four?" Bridget asked kindly.

"Your sister will be seen by Dr. Greenwood first. Then, he will decide if and where she will be admitted." The nurse said dismissively without even looking up from her computer. Bridget took a breath to keep from snapping at her. Her patience was running thin while her irritability was running rather strong.

"But—"

"Ma'am, you cannot request a doctor of any discipline at your convenience. This is the emergency department. She will be evaluated by an emergency medicine physician, and he will decide who to page. It is that simple. No need for buts." The nurse's short, condescending tone and use of the term "ma'am" made Bridget lose her already limited patience.

"No, it isn't that simple. She has a family history of cardiovascular pathology in family members of similar age. She is being treated like she has the flu when she could be having a cardiac emergency as we speak. I know Dr. Ross personally. Please page him, and let him know Alec Gallagher's daughter is in the emergency department with fatigue, shortness of breath, and swollen legs. I promise you he will come and be angry you didn't page him sooner." Bridget said sharply.

The nurse finally looked up with wide eyes to meet Bridget's angry glare, "I'll page him right now, Ms. Gallagher."

It was a side of her I had never seen. I was almost impressed. She was always so polite and often timid. Seeing her advocate on behave of her sistered revealed a part of her that I underestimated.

"Jesus Christ, how did you know to say all of that?" I wondered.

"From what happened to Bella. I told you I have a really bad feeling about this." She gulped.

Dr. Ross must have been close to the Gallagher family for him to agree to see Megan before she was even admitted by emergency medicine. He was here in under five minutes.

"Bridget, how old did you say Megan is?" Dr. Ross asked.

"Eight years old."

"Are you able to walk to the door and back?" He asked. Megan shook her head.

"And, Megan, can you try to tell me what the pain feels like?" The doctor asked with a stethoscope on her chest.

"My chest hurts. It feels heavy." She said.

"You're heart is beating a little slower than it should. Can you take a deep breath for me?"

"No, it hurts." Megan whined.

"Do you feel weak?" She nodded. I began to see why Bridget had such a bad feeling. Every time Megan answered a question, Bridget looked as though she was punched in the chest.

"We are going to run some blood tests, an EKG, a chest X-Ray, and an echocardiogram." He told us.

"Dr. Ross, may I see you outside?" Bridget asked. She shut the door behind us.