seventeen.

"How does Nate know who you are? Did you tell him?" Abigail asked as she paced back and fourth in Nick's living room.

Nate was staying with Nick's family since he was released from the hospital. Before the fire, his mum was like our second mum and vice versa. Since she found out he and Abigail were alive, she took them in as if no time had passed. I was extremely thankful for this, given that I had to fly under the radar and keep my distance.

The more time I spent with Abigail and Nate, the more I restored lost memories of my childhood, especially at Nick's house with my dog following me around. The tone Abby had in her voice was the same our mum had when she was angry.

"No, he knew right away. I tried to lie to him, but he recognised me." I explained with Bo sitting on my lap.

She examined my face to see if I was lying.

"So if Nate, who hasn't seen you since he was four, recognised you, what is to stop the Gallagher's, Nick's family, or anyone else from recognising you?" She snapped.

Bo barked back at her. I chuckled and shushed him, petting my hand between his ears. That used to be his favourite thing.

"Nate isn't anyone else. He's his brother, and he was actually looking for him. Jacob Montgomery has nothing to do with Aiden Shepard. He isn't on anyone's mind. No one is going to see Aiden in him because no one is looking for him." Nick answered for me.

Abigail rolled her eyes and ran her fingers through her hair in frustration.

"Aiden, is it even necessary for you to still continue this whole revenge thing?" She said.

"What do you mean?"

"I get why you wanted to do it before. You thought everyone was dead. You were alone, and you thought you had nothing to lose. But now, you have me and Nate. Why do you still have to do this?" She asked.

The idea of stopping this process was unthinkable to me. It was not even possibility no matter who came back from the dead.  My life was destroyed. Our family was ruined.

"Are you joking? You know what I went through. You were lucky to enough to run away with Nate and Grams while I suffered unspeakable things alone. You had the luxury of grieving while I was shipped back to England.  I had to fight just to survive in foster homes for years after being in a juvenile detention centre simply because Alec wanted it that way." I seethed, "Don't you get that?"

She shook her head not only in disapproval but disappointment. Abigail believed in forgiveness, not vengeance. Her heart was kind and pure but not untouched. She lost our parents like I did. But, somehow, she couldn't understand my need to make them pay for what they for what they did.

"No, I don't get it. Alec Gallagher is a very smart and dangerous man. They could take out anyone at anytime. Why do you think you stand a chance?"

"He may be smart, but I'm smarter. Also, he doesn't see me coming. I'm off his radar. All I am to him is the guy that's friends with his daughter. I'm always going to be ten steps ahead."

"You're underestimating Alec Gallagher. That family is very dangerous and very powerful, and Nate wants to help you. Pursuing this could get him or you hurt. It isn't only you at risk anymore. I just got both of my brothers back. I'm terrified that I'm going to lose you again." She tried with all her strength to keep her voice even.