thirteen.

I knocked on the door to Bridget's house. The blood coursing through my veins stung like acid every time I stepped foot on this godforsaken property. The door opened and I was faced with her father. He presented me with a kind smile and a handshake. For a killer, Alec was a pretty friendly guy.

"Jacob, hi. Come in. Bridget will be right down." He said. He shut the door behind me. The foyer was incredible. Thousands crystals hung on the chandelier above us. The sun shined through them and onto the walls.

"Thanks, Mr. Gallagher." I said politely.

"Call me, Alec. We cross paths enough professionally. Even though you are dating my daughter, I prefer to be on a first name basis with those I do business with." Everything Alec says has specific intentions. He did not care what I called him. He wanted to know the relation between his daughter and me.

"Not dating," I corrected with a pinched smile on my face, "we're friends."

"My mistake." He smiled and nodded.

One of many, asshole.

"I'm sorry about your friend Kelsey. I cannot imagine what that's like for you." I said cautiously, trying to change the subject away from my interactions with his daughter.

The police did not have enough evidence to arrest Alec yet, but he was a lead suspect in the murder. He kept his typical stiff upper lip at the mention of his murdered mistress, not that I would expect any different. That would require basic respect for human life.

"I just hope that they find whoever did it, so her family can move forward. Those poor kids are left without a mother. The family should at the very least get some closure." Compassion and sadness was sewn into his rehearsed words. He was good. If I didn't know him, I'd believe every word.

"Yes, and you should know you have my full support. If there is anything I can do to help, please let me know." The words burned in my mouth. Alec looked for loyalty in everyone he surrounded himself with, even when their loyalty was involuntary.

"Thank you. I'll keep that in mind."

Bridget came downstairs ready to go. I gave her a friendly peck on the cheek.

"Hey, sorry I was running a little behind." She said.

She looked more beautiful today. Her hair was in its natural waves rather than blow dried and straight. The denim shorts she wore emphasized her perfectly sculpted legs.

"No problem."

"Jacob," Alec said, "you should join us for dinner tomorrow. I would like to get to know you more." Bridget became a little more tense.  Even though she didn't like the idea, I needed to say yes to get Alec to use the opportunity to get closer to him. I couldn't have him believing that the growing strain between Bridget and him had anything to do with me.

"Dad, I don't think–"

"I would love to." I agreed. Alec could sense the change in his daughter. I don't imagine she was ever completely comfortable around him. Her entire demeanor was different. She was clearly on edge.

"We should get going. See you later, Dad."

"Okay, does six work for tomorrow?" He asked me. Bridget's disdain was palpable. Her hand was pulling me to leave.

"Yeah, perfect. See you then." I said. Bridget and I left for the picnic she had planned. She didn't speak more than a sentence on the way to the beach.