forty-four.*

All the sounds I didn't want to hear violated my ear drums. Kai bickered with Nick and I on the plan of action for our next target. Kora contributed her two cents and mellowed out tempters. My foot tapped impatiently on the mat, and my hands fiddled with the remaining boxing glove I didn't chuck at Kai. The nerve in my inner ear canal throbbed for the crisp click of Bridget's high heels against the marble of my foyer.

"The senator will go upstairs to snort cocaine with everyone else from Wall Street. Coats will be checked at the door. Kora will sneak his phone from him and attach the chip that will get us into his network. You will discuss the possibility of a campaign endorsement for reelection from Payco International. When you go to his office to discuss it further, you will have access to his laptop, which will have recordings showing that he took bribes and directives from Alec to fabricate evidence against Martin Shepard." Nick summarised, rolling down the the sleeves of his button down.

"I don't know that I like this plan." Kai shrugged. Echoing groans of annoyance from Nick and Kora bounced off the skylight. The headache piercing my skull thinned my patience to none.

"And I don't know why you're still here. Why did you lie to me about my father? What is there to lie about? Why are you hiding my and Abby's birth certificates?" I snapped, dropping my other glove. It was the first time I had brought it up since he'd told me. The two of them looked at Kai and me with blank stares, confirming they didn't know either. I didn't care. I was tired of waiting.

"You told us about Allegiance. What else are you talking about?" Nick said.

"Kai, you go ahead and tell them." I demanded. As expected, he ignored me.

"I think we've covered enough ground for today. You three are all prepared if Allegiance sends anyone to the event tomorrow. By the middle of next week, I want to see headlines about the senator everywhere and an investigation. If that happens, then we will discuss the birth certificates." He compromised, leaving before any of us argued with him. Nick followed him out, stopping him in the driveway probably to ask why I was so pissed.

"One more round for good luck?" Kora proposed, wiggling her eyebrows as she adjusted her boxing gloves.

"No, I want to go for a surf before it gets dark. I'll see you tomorrow." I said coldly, hinting that I wanted her out.

"You shouldn't go out alone. I could stay if you want to—"

"Now you're worried about something going wrong." I scoffed. "Where has that instinct been every time Kai had a plan to hurt Bridget and you did nothing to warn me?"

"I didn't have anything to with what he did to her, and I'm sorry it happened." She insisted.

"Fuck off. Go catch up with Kai before you break your leash." I muttered. I didn't care much to preserve her feelings. She rolled her eyes and tossed the gloves on the shelf. After she was gone, I got in was wetsuit and walked down to the beach, board in hand.

Ember and blue rays mingled behind the clouds to warn of the sun's departure. My feet broke the undisturbed wet sand as they sprinted into the seasonably chilled saltwater. I savoured the initial shock to my nervous system. Desperate for the ocean to humble me in the midst of its bleak complexity, I hauled my body onto the board.

My hands dipped below the surface in a violent paddle away from my daunting reality on the shore. I surpassed the shallows of white foamy crests. Every filament lining my muscles yearned for the chaotic nothingness of being swallowed by a wave.