Chapter 37: Shadows

Start from the beginning

He was ashamed. 

"We're close, right?" Sasuke asked Naruto who nodded. 

"I wonder who they made Hokage. . ." Naruto wondered aloud. Sasuke shrugged. 

"I don't care as long as they don't abuse their power I'm absolutely fine with whoever they chose." Naruto had similar feelings. 

They saw the gate of the village and Naruto couldn't help the small smile that had graced his face, his home once again in sight. 

Suddenly, he was getting excited as well as nervous. He hadn't seen his loved ones for years and they probably have changed drastically. Three years can do a lot to the people of the world. 

Some wars were fought within three years, some people got married within three years of meeting, there were so many possibilities that it made him nervous.

The two Sharingan wielders entered the village, it bustling with activity as villagers walked up and down the streets, shopping for objects that would fulfill their needs or wants for however long they would last. 

They went unencountered as they journeyed to the Hokage Tower. Entering the top floor and knocking on the door, a woman's "Come in," could be heard from the other side of the door. Naruto opened the door and was shocked to see Tsunade Senju sitting at the Hokage's desk, a bottle of booze sitting on the wooden furniture right next to several documents that would be deemed important. 

"Hello, my name is-" Naruto began, but was cut off as Tsunade rose a hand, stopping him.

"I know who you are, Naruto Namikaze, as well as your apprentice, Sasuke Uchiha. It would be foolish of me not to know who either of you are, especially after solidifying our relationship with the Hidden Mist."  Tsunade said in  a semi-stern tone. 

"Well it's nice to meet you, Hokage-sama." He said carefully, not sure as to what he should say next. 

"Sakura Namikaze is your daughter, no?" Tsunade said from her desk, causing Naruto to raise an eyebrow in question at the question. 

"I'm sorry?" He was trying to be polite, but a smile tugged at his lips. Sakura Namikaze? 

"Yes, you're two kids, Sakura Namikaze, who is also my apprentice, and Sai Namikaze, who is training one on one with Kakashi Hatake. I'm sure they missed you terribly." She then eyed Sasuke and a smirk appeared on her lips. "My apprentice missed you as well." 

"Don't touch my daughter, Sasuke." Naruto said, but he had a huge grin on his face. "Or my son." He quickly added, causing Sasuke to scowl. 

"Don't swing that way, sensei." He said, crossing his arms over his chest. Tsunade smiled at the duo. 

"Well, sorry to do this so quickly but I'm afraid we must get down to business," She began. "Tell me, how strong is Sasuke now?" Naruto glanced at Sasuke for a moment before shrugging.

"Meh, I'm not entirely sure. I want to say mid to high Jounin level, but he might be low Kage-level too. I've only faced two Kage in my life, one which was serious fight and the other a spar, and he's around that level now." Sasuke's eyes widened as his eyes looked at Naruto in amazement. 

Naruto had fought Yagura, the Fourth Mizukage and to say he was winning was an understatement, no, it was completely one-sided. Naruto didn't even activate his Sharingan during that fight, and here he was saying he was around Yagura's level, the Jinchuuriki of the Three Tails? And if that was low Kage level, and for him to be able to beat around Yagura as such. . .

How strong was Naruto?

"Ah, yes. You were the one who defeated and killed Yagura?" Naruto nodded. "And that leads to the question, how strong have you become?" Looking down at a few papers on her desk, she began speaking once more. "It says before you left that you were the strongest in the village by a longshot, with the Third Hokage believing that you were able to rival the likes of Hashirama Senju or Madara Uchiha. Obviously you didn't neglect your own training, so how strong have you become?" 

Tsunade and Sasuke, who was also curious on the answer, awaited patiently as Naruto stretched slightly. 

"I honestly have no clue," He said honestly. "I never had anyone to truly fight as my rival. I know I'm stronger than any of the Kages, no offense, but I don't necessarily know by how much. There's only one person I really measure myself up to and that's a person in the mask who I've only faced twice and have lost twice. But that so long ago, I'm not even sure if they're active anymore." 

Tsunade was disturbed by this fact. How could she control a shinobi who fought Kage as if they were Genin? Well, the simple fact was that she couldn't. She studied the blonde for a few more moments before a tired sigh escaped her lips. 

"Well, how about a test? You and Sasuke will fight Team Guy, Team Asuma, and Team Kurenai as well as Kakashi, Anko, Sakura, and Sai. It'll be a fun exercise for those at your caliber and I believe it'll be an interesting match up, don't you?" Naruto shrugged.

"I just hope they improved their teamwork over the last three years because if they didn't, they have no chance against Sasuke let alone me." Naruto said with a little smirk. 

"That sentence frightens me, but I cannot do anything about it. Go get some rest and meet everyone at Training Grounds 7 tomorrow morning at eight o'clock sharp, I don't tolerate lateness." Naruto saluted. 

"Of course not, ma'am. We're always on time unlike Kaka-nii!" He grabbed ahold of Sasuke's shoulder before vanishing in a body flicker. Tsunade massaged her forehead for a moment before calling out for her assistant, Shizune. 

"Yes, Tsunade-sama?" She asked, peeking her head into the door of her office. 

"Get me all of the files on Naruto Namikaze, I don't care how small or trivial they may seem, I need all of them." Shizune nodded and quickly left to go gather all of the information on Naruto Namikaze. 

Tsunade needed to know who exactly he was, or else face a large problem in the future. 

And done. How was it? Good? Bad? Tell me! 

Anyway, yeah. Small start, but just setting the base of what needs to happen next. Shit only gets darker from here on out so prep yourselves lol

Til next time my lil demons!