chapter 40 | Broken heart

Start from the beginning

"Anyway, before you leave, I wanted to talk about something with you. I only got the information today, so I feel like you should be the first one to know about it," he takes a look at his phone, and I listen to what he has to say.

"So, we have been working on the sketches of those devices for the company in America, and I talked to them this week, but they really like what you do, like, a lot," he smiles at me as I cannot understand whether this is something good or bad. "Let's get straight to the point, I'm going to send some employees in New York to work there, and you're among them. Your salary will be drastically increased, and this will last for two years," the news that were supposed to be positive brings me down more than ever, my brain not working anymore. "What do you think?"

I do not answer, not liking this when I should have. If I was alone, single, with no one by my side, I would have taken this opportunity as wonderful, but this is not the case right now, I have y/n, and I cannot leave her for two years. She has her block release training that will still last for one year once she's done with her first one, we won't handle the distance for so long.

"Are you not happy?" he notices the problem there is. "I...I don't know..." I try to be honest with him, lifting my hand up to my head and brushing my hair back. "Do I have the right to stay here...? I have a—"

"Jungkook, this isn't an opportunity you can decline. This will help our company, and I already talked about the employees, including you, that will leave to work with them for a moment. You cannot refuse," he explains and makes it clear I have no choice. I cannot believe this is happening. "You won't even have to do any interviews to be taken, they already want you. You won't ever get such an opportunity like that again in your life, I'm serious."

"I know..." I sigh and glance away, not happy at all. What am I going to say to y/n once I'm home? I will never handle her reaction, this will for sure be bad and hurt me. "When do we have to leave?"

"A meeting to celebrate it will be done this Friday, and the employees leave on Monday, February third," he tells me, worsening everything. I barely have one week to think about it with y/n. This is hell, and I'd rather stay with her than earn more money. "I know this will be hard because you have a girlfriend, but you don't get anything without any effort. You know this is the right thing to do, you will earn more money, a lot of reputation, and this might lead to something you would never imagine to get."

I don't tell anything since I don't care about anything but y/n right now. "I need to think about this, Mister Lee," I don't give any settled answer, not showing any enthusiasm at all. "Your employees count on you as well," he adds even more pressure to not make it any better for me, but I nod and head to the door. "See you tomorrow, Mister Lee."

"See you," he responds, so I go out and leave this place.

•••

3:10 pm.

I unlock the door of the house to come back after more than one hour that I wish could have not be spent that way. The scent of food brings me some comfort, but my mind is still stuck with what my boss announced me. I leave my shoes on the floor and join y/n, who I assume to be in the kitchen.

As soon as I walk out of the entry room, I see her at the kitchen counter, cooking some food. She turns her head towards me and gives me one of the sweetest smile, hers, so I give her one back but with an aching heart.

"How did it go?" she puts her utensil down but wraps her arms around me once I get closer. "Well...fine...but that was not even a hack, the files were stolen, and I retrieved them with the copy that was blocked...so yeah, he's a dumbass," I don't bring up the most sensitive topic yet, caressing her back and checking what she's cooking. "Oh, what an incompetent," she sneers but moves back to the food. "Look what I cooked, it's ready, just on time for you," she beams, her joy affecting me in a different manner.