ix

[two weeks later]

Alexa

I wake up and I, immediately, felt a stinging pain from my foot. I had fractured my 5th metatarsal and had been on crutches ever since. I'm supposed to get them off in about a week. I grab the painkillers off my table and took them, ready to take on the day.

I look over at the clock beside me and thanked myself for being a morning person. It was only about 8 A.M. I've been trying, endlessly, to wake up earlier than everybody else so I can cook food and prove to everybody that I can still be relevant when I'm injured. They've been joking about how useless I am, now that I'm on crutches and 'need help with everything' ― which I didn't, they just insisted on helping. I'm going to prove everybody wrong.

I get up and tried to change clothes slowly and quietly, careful not to wake up Leianne as she's a light sleeper. I grabbed my crutches and started my struggle down the stairs. The problem with our house is that the stairs are so God damn steep and small, making it scary for me to go up and down the stairs. But, I learned to just grab onto the railing and hop on one leg, and hope that my knees won't buckle and make me plummet to my death. I could just imagine how horrible my gravestone would be.

Alexa Faye Dawson

1998 - 2016

Death by stairs

Actually, that sounds more like Anna's gravestone.

I looked into the fridge to find anything to cook and thanked Melissa in my mind, because she actually decided to be an adult yesterday and went out to get groceries. I took out all the things I needed to make an omelette. I chopped the red & green pepper with ease. I stared at the onion dreadfully, knowing it would cause uncontrollable tears. Once I was done with cutting the vegetables, I went on to cutting a can of Spam into small pieces; because I know some of the others prefer the meat. Once I finished preparing everything and I was ready to actually start cooking, my hopes and dreams got crushed by the sound of a door opening and closing. I prepared myself as I stared at the bottom of the stairs, waiting for the person to reveal herself. My eyes widen when it was not a 'herself' it was a 'himself'.

"Luke? What the fuck are you doing here?" I ask, my voice high pitched from the surprise. Luke whips around to look at me. I nearly started to laugh at his current state.

His hair was sticking up in every direction and his eyes were a little red and puffy. I could tell he had done a poor attempt at wiping away his dried drool. Overall, he looked like a mess.

He then raised his hand up to his face, rubbing his eyes. It was so obvious that he was trying to hide the fact that he looks like shit in the morning, though, just about everybody does.

"I fell asleep watching movies with Mel." He says, yawning.

"Watching movies?" I ask, smirking. "Or" ― I make quote fingers ― "Watching movies?

"Yes, Alexa, watching movies." He says, exaggerating his words knowing that I was teasing him. "Do you have any other questions? Because, I have to get ready for school and I'm already late."

"No." I say sadly, in defeat. I didn't like this side of Luke. It's no fun.

Luke waves goodbye and leaves the house. I finished cooking for the girls and started with the boys, thankful that I only have to feed Michael and Ashton because the other two were going to school. I heard a door open and slam, hearing someone whisper 'shit' loudly. Melissa walks down the stairs with Violet following her. She turns to look at me, a confused look in her face. She then nods and sits on our new table that the boys have finally bought and made a couple days ago. She slumps her head down onto the table, where her arms were ready to act as a pillow.