Chapter 36

We all left the town hall to get ready. We were leaving in twenty minutes. Eugene was going to go radio to the other communities about what was happening. Hopefully they would be able to help with whatever the aftermath was going to be after taking on this group and hopefully taking them out. We needed to pack up our stuff and meet at the front gates.

I left and quickly walked back to the house.

"Sloane," Daryl said as he caught up to me and put a hand on my arm from behind to stop me. I turned to look at him and already knew what was going through his mind. He thought it was too dangerous for me to go. I appreciated that he cared for me and didn't want me to get hurt, but that was a risk we were all willing to take. I wasn't just going to sit back while him and everyone else risked their lives.

I put a hand on my hip. "Daryl, do not tell me I can't go, okay? Rosita went alone because of me. I'm going to help get her back. If you want me to stay here, you'll have to lock me up." I raised my eyebrows and waited for an answer.

He sighed and nodded. My face softened. "It'll all be okay," I said reassuringly.

We walked to the house and packed up some stuff. We'd be gone overnight and have to sleep in the woods at least tonight, so I decided to put on my jeans and stuffed my hoodie in my backpack. I was sure tonight would be a long, cold night.

I put my long hair up in a high ponytail. I grabbed my knives, putting them in the usual places, grabbed my gun and met Daryl in the kitchen. He had packed up his stuff and some food too and we headed to the front gates.

We would be taking two cars and of course, Daryl would be riding his motorcycle. When it was time to leave and everyone was getting into the cars, Daryl motioned for me to get on the bike with him. I knew I should feel nervous after crashing it last time I was on it, but I wasn't. I trusted Daryl.

"Sloane, you coming?" Michonne asked me as she poked her head out of the car.

"I'm going to ride with Daryl," I waved to her and then jogged away.

I slid my leg over the seat of the bike and sat behind him. I wrapped my arms tightly around him and he didn't flinch like he normally did.

After driving for a while, we noticed a car on the side of the road up ahead so we all pulled over. It was the car Rosita had taken. We all turned off the vehicles and got out. I guess we would be walking from here. 

Even though it would be much faster to drive the whole way there, we couldn't risk the chance of being spotted if they had lookouts or anything that would tip them off if we got too close. We needed to do this right and sneak in unannounced, and it was obvious that Rosita had been thinking the exact same thing. 

We couldn't take any chances. All of our lives were at risk. It was going to be a long walk the rest of the way in the woods, but it was necessary.

Once we were all geared up, we left the cars and headed into the woods. Daryl took the lead so that he could make sure we were following her tracks. I walked with Michonne right behind Daryl.

"Walkers," Daryl said as he raised his bow, pointing it at the small group of the dead approaching.

Michonne turned to me and motioned for me to go with her. I grabbed my large knife out of its holder and prepared myself.

Michonne, Daryl and I approached, staying in tight formation. The walkers had seen us and were dragging their feet eagerly towards us, their hands outstretched as they hoped for a meal.

Daryl shot an arrow into the one closest to us, and then Michonne walked to the right side of the group of dead, her katana raised in her hands. I moved to the left side where Daryl approached and stabbed my knife into the head of the next walker. Daryl got his knife out and took out another one. I walked up to the last one trailing behind and raised my arm. The walker's arms were out in front of him, swiping his hands at me so I couldn't get in too close. I raised my leg and kicked the walker in the legs so that it fell to the ground. I leaned over and sunk my blade into its head.