Chapter 9

The next morning after breakfast as I waited for Rosita to come get me for my gun training lesson, I decided to wash my clothes, since even my new ones were now dirty again. I hung my clothes up to dry and sat down on the front porch to wait, fidgeting with the bandanas wrapped around my wrists. I had only been sitting for a few minutes when Rosita found me, carrying a bag of guns.

We got in a car and she drove us out far enough away from Alexandria to be safe. She told me that the lesson would be short because the sound of firing guns would attract walkers.

I had handled guns only a few times before when I was in groups and put on watch. They gave me a gun, but I never used it, so I really had no experience.

Rosita started with gun safety. After that she had me start practicing shooting on a still target. I surprised myself by mastering that pretty quickly.

"Well then," she said, looking impressed after I hit the target again. "I guess it's time for the advanced lesson."

I watched as she walked over to where a thick log was attached to a rope dangling from to a tree. She put her hands on the log and pushed it so that it started to sway back and forth.

She came back to stand beside me. "Go ahead," she said, gesturing to the log swinging fast through the air.

"No instructions this time?" I asked, my eyes wide as I wondered how I would hit the target now that it was moving so fast.

"It's not something I can teach you. You have to learn it on your own," she said.

I nodded my head as I raised the gun, aiming at the target. My palms were sweaty as I gripped the gun tightly and focused on the log. I tried to follow the log as it swung back and forth, but I had trouble keeping up with it. I pulled the trigger, and the bullet missed by a long shot. I squinted my eyes and aimed again. I pulled the trigger, but I missed a second time. I lowered the gun and sighed in frustration.

"Hold on," Rosita said as she went back to the log and pushed it again since it had started to slow down.

"Give me the gun," she walked back towards me with her palm extended. I assumed she was going to show me how to do it, not that I was sure it would help me.

I handed her the gun but was surprised to see her tuck it in her jeans.

"Pull out your knife," she said to me instead. I was confused, but did it anyway.

"Now hit the target," she said as she gestured to the swinging log.

"With my knife?"

"No, with your shoe. Yes, with your knife," she laughed.

I was confused since she was supposed to be teaching me how to shoot. I could already use a knife. I sighed but followed her instructions anyway.

I looked at the target, following its movement pattern. I swiftly raised my right hand and swung the knife forward, hitting the target dead on.

Rosita's eyebrows shot up. "Damn. I heard you were good, but that's impressive," she said, her arms crossed.

"Now do it with the gun," she said as she handed the gun back to me.

"But it's different," I said, shaking my head.

"It shouldn't be," she replied. "When you throw your knife, you can hit the target because you can feel where the target is moving next. It's the same thing with the gun."

As I considered this, I realized she was right. It was the same thing. It was instinct. It was practice.

I raised the gun again and pointed it at the moving target. I took a deep breath and studied the pattern as the log swung back and forth. I inhaled deeply, and as I exhaled, I pulled the trigger, hitting the target.