Chapter 13

I felt lucky; I could have really hurt myself. I was glad Siddiq didn't think I had any broken bones. Although, now that it was over, I was starting to feel embarrassed. I had survived on my own for months without even a gun. I told these people that I could handle myself, yet I had crashed Daryl's motorcycle over one walker, and almost really hurt myself. And I scratched up Daryl's prized possession in the process.

Siddiq popped his head around the door again, coming back in with a loose shirt for me to change into. I slid it over my head and felt immensely better now that everything was treated and wrapped up. Only my leg was still burning with pain. Siddiq brought me over an ice pack from the small freezer we had.

"This will help with the swelling," he said as he gently placed it on my knee that was still propped up on the pillow. Siddiq went to open the door to the rest of the infirmary, and Rick peeked his head in.

"How ya feelin'? He said as he walked over and sat down in the chair beside me.

I took a deep breath. "I'm okay," I said. I saw the lady from before stand in the doorway.

Rick looked over to her, and then back at me.

"Sloane, this is Carol," he said as he introduced us. "Carol and I have known each other for a long time... since the beginning," he smiled and said to me. "She lives in the Kingdom now."

I smiled at her. "It's nice to meet you," I said.

"Need anything, sweetheart?" Carol asked me in a kind voice.

I shook my head. "No, I'm good, thanks. Is Daryl around though? I wanted to talk to him..." I trailed off when I saw them look at each other.

"Daryl left to go hunting," Rick said with a tight smile.

"He left?" I asked, confused as to why he would leave when he knew I was in here. I guess there was no reason he needed to wait for me, but deep down I had kind of been hoping he would stay and be here now.

"Can I talk to her alone for a minute?" Carol asked Rick.

He nodded and left the room. I wasn't sure what she wanted to say to me, especially since I had just met her.

"I only just got here but I've already heard lots of good things about you," she said as she smiled and walked over to the bed.

"Oh," I said, not sure how to respond.

"Heard you were on your own for a while. Heard you saved Rick," she continued. She sounded impressed with me, but internally I felt embarrassed over today's events.

"And then I crashed Daryl's bike and wrecked my knee because of one stupid walker," I laughed, my cheeks flushing.

Carol sat down on the chair beside the bed.

"Things happen," she said simply. "Everyone's just glad you're okay."

I thought about it for a moment. "Doesn't seem like everyone's glad," I said in a quiet voice, pointing out someone who wasn't here and didn't seem to care how I was doing. I tried to sound unaffected and not let my voice show how hurt I was that he wasn't here, but I didn't think I did a good job. Anyways, why was I so upset? Daryl didn't owe me anything.

Carol smiled slightly. "Daryl," she shook her head. "I've known Daryl since the beginning," she looked at me and paused, unsure if she should continue.

"I lost my girl when this all started," she finally said. 

"I'm so sorry," I replied, sincerely.

She just nodded her head and continued. "She ran off into the woods when we were attacked by a herd of walkers. She went missing, and everyday we went out looking for her. When I started to lose hope, Daryl was the one who would snap me out of it because he had hope that we would find her. He led the search parties and never gave up, until... we found her. She was a walker," she was shaking her head. I gasped. "It was no one's fault," she continued. "But Daryl seemed to place all the guilt on his shoulders. He thinks that he can save everyone, and blames himself when he can't. He's a damn good person. He's the best person I know..." she trailed off. We were silent for a moment.