Chapter 40: Hugs and Disses

-December 20th, 2018- (six days until Christmas) (Warning: some swearing)

"I'm so hot for her, I'm so hot for her, I'm so hot for her and she's so cold, I'm so hot for her, I'm on fire for her, I'm so hot for her and she's so cold!
I'm the burning bush, I'm the burning fire
I'm the bleeding volcano
I'm so hot for her, I'm so hot for her
I'm so hot for her and she's so cold!" The music of "She's So Cold" by The Rolling Stones filled the kitchen as Denise made Derek and her lunch, Derek was coming over that day, which she wanted to do something nice for him since her mom is out and Wayne is with friends, She wanted to cook for him for no reason at all.

 "Yeah, I tried re-wiring her, tried re-firing her, I think her engine is permanently stalled." Denise sang along while tossing the salad in the olive green salad holder. "Mick Jagger knows how to get me into a good mood."

"She's so cold she's so cold
She's so cold cold cold
Like a tombstone
She's so cold, she's so cold
She's so cold cold cold like an ice cream cone
She's so cold she's so cold
I dare not touch her my hand just froze."  That's when she heard someone knocking at her front door. "Oh, That must be Derek." She said, turning the music off and walking into the living room to open her front door to be face to face with Derek. 

"Hey, Den." He said, pushing his glasses back onto his face. 

"Hey, Deek." Denise replied, "Come in, come in." He walked into her house. "I'm almost done with the salad." She played with her hair as she said that. "Den, You didn't have to cook for me."

"Course I did, over you being in recovery from Anorexia after all." She replied, grabbing the salad bowl and sitting it on the table, along with two bowls. "Help yourself, Deek." she filled her bowl with the green vegetable. "So, what's new with you?"

"Nothing much, Shelly and I are talking again," Derek said,  Denise looked at him. "Shelly, as in Shelly Andrews?"

"Yeah, I talked to her on the eighteen, She was a wreak." Denise looked up from her salad, her eyes showed a lot of curiosity as her male friend spoke. "Why was she a wreak?" 

"Uh....I'm not sure if I'm supposed to tell you." He ran his fingers through his hair, lending back in the chair, stretching his back. "I mean, I don't think, Shelly would want a lot of people to know."  Denise's facial expression changed to curious to annoyed in a drop of a hat, Derek knew her patience was growing thin with him. "Shelly was my best friend, I would never tell anyone anything she told me."  

Derek let out the sigh he was holding in. "Shelly was raped." Denise's eyes got big, she dropped her fork and her whole face turned pale in color. "She was what?"

"raped, She was raped by Robert Mathews."

"That dog!" Denise shouted, "How dare he touch Shelly!" Derek knew that Denise was mad. "How dare he, That bloody bastard!"

"Den, watch your mouth," Derek said, pushing his glasses back onto his face. "Sorry, Deek, I'm just angry."

"It's fine, I never swore before, I have heard worst." They both laughed. "Same here, Deek, Same here." Denise blabbed, looking over at the wall. "How are you holding up with your dad dying?"

"I've had better days, I should say." She replied, playing with a strand of her hair. "I've had better days, I'm been listening to The Rolling Stones." 

"Best kind of therapy," Derek replied, reaching over to hold Denise's hand. "What was your dad like, may I ask." Denise looked at him. "My dad was amazing, he was the best, He's the reason why I love The Rolling Stones so much, he told me that when I was a baby, he would put Beast of Burden on all the time for me when I was crying, he would put it on, he told me anytime he played it, I would fall asleep, now, that he died, I don't have anyone to listen to The Rolling Stones, my  mom doesn't like them nor does Wayne."