𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿-𝟭𝟬 | Solitary

Asevís

"Do you know the story of Phaethon?"

I turned around to be greeted by a familiar face.

"No," I lied.

She didn't look fazed by my ignorance and hence stated,

"You resemble him."

I recalled the story in my head.

The ancient Greek myth about a son of the sun God Helios, Phaethon, who wanted to ride the sun chariot across the sky and ended up burning half of the world due to his recklessness. He was shot out of the sky by Zeus and his dead body smouldered in a swamp for thousands of years.

"Is that supposed to be a derision or a compliment?"

"It's supposed to be a harmless little comment. Why do you always search for a double meaning?"

I don't. Infact, sometimes I don't even bother to pay attention.

"My bad."

Her footsteps echoed in the empty room as she approached me. She wrapped her arms around me from behind.

"Why did you stop? You never told me the reason."

I sighed and carefully freed myself from her embrace.

"They're together now. I need them separated to enforce the incantation. And besides- "

"Besides?" She pressed.

"I have no intention of hurting the girl."

Zenith's expression suddenly darkened, her eyes reddened and flared with pure hatred.

"And why is that?" Her voice came out sharp, cold and demanding.

"I don't have to tell you everything," I replied in the same tone, without a pinch of hesitation.

"She's supposed to die, Asevís. I saw her, she's still so clueless about everything....Seth intentionally dragged her into his mess, she's got to die."

Zenith's got this natural talent of annoying people with questions. The hatred dripping off her voice undertoned with regrets wasn't helping either.

"Who are you to decide that?"

She didn't answer. Either because she failed to come up with another flabby logic or because she was shaking badly, barely able to contain her anger. Since she's well aware that I'll feel free to let her die if she crosses the line.

"Are we done here?"

She eyed me furiously one last time before storming out of the room, leaving me in my solitude.

I couldn't answer her question even if I wanted to. I don't know why I spared Amethyst in the first place, eleven years ago. My hesitation wasn't centering the fact that I was ten and she was around seven and if I did kill her that day, when I had the chance, I could've erased all the events that would follow. If I got convicted, I might also have been the minor murderer who could get away without being charged.

But something about her unsettled me. The way she spoke, the way she laughed, the way she climbed that tree and saved that kitten. She just looked so alive. Who was I to ruin that? Who was I to take her life? Who was I to snatch that bright smile off her face? Guilt- something I had never felt before, clouded my conscience that day.

I remember slowly tucking the pocket knife back inside my shirt as our gaze met. She handed the kitten over to its owner, a little girl. The overexcited kid hugged her tightly in gratitude.