13

Feb. 21st 2016

A week slipped right through your hands. The days flew straight by as you put yourself on auto-pilot. Every day was a blur until night came. You looked at your messages for hours, contemplating if she would respond. As much as you wanted to send a text, you resisted. You knew you needed time to come to terms, but you missed her. Was there a reason to feel this way if the relationship wasn't considered real? It couldn't be real.

The kisses and late-night calls weren't real. The comfort Lexi offered didn't help at all. You wanted her to tell you the truth instead of consoling you with lies to try and make you feel better. You needed someone to help push you through the thorns. A warning ahead of time instead of pretending things could've been different. Instead of ignoring the inevitable outcome. You had to swallow the truth that even if Sana did like you, there wasn't an ounce of effort to try to make things work.

It has been hours since you got to the company, hours of just sitting in the dance studio, staring at yourself in the mirror. Juggling time and your health has become overbearing. Finding time to rest kept getting shorter and shorter, from three hours to an hour. With only a nap here and there, if you could get away with it. But, this week was partially harder than the rest. Evaluations were coming up in a couple of weeks, making the trainers harder on everyone. It seemed like they were targeting the foreign trainees just because, pushing them past their limits. Their poor excuses for prepping them to handle the industry and idol life. The mistreat always went unheard by the company and turned a blind eye from the other trainees. What could you do? All you can do is endure, but for how long?

You got back up, trying to get the footwork correct. It was no use. There was no way you could memorize the choreography before the morning. You leaned your forehead against the mirror, hitting it softly a few times, leaving a small red mark. Frustration was built with each mess up. You slid back down and pulled your knees to your chest. Your muscles ached and burned the more you pushed your body to its limit.

'Is this my breaking point?' You Swallowed the lump in your throat. Waves of exhaustion and frustration crushed your motivation and hope.

The door opened, but you refused to look up. "You're still here? It's almost three a.m." You immediately knew who it was by his accent. You can tell he was tired of his toneless voice. Just like you, Chan has been pushing his limits, forcing himself to stay at the company until five a.m and picking up extra lessons. Hardworking and passionate, that's why you admired him. You looked up, and half smiled at him. "Why are you still here?"

Chan closed the door and sat next to you, closing his eyes. "What's wrong? You haven't been yourself this past week." Even if he hasn't seen you, he knows when something bothered you. "Did something happen between you and Sana? You know you can always console me."

"Why do you think it's about her?" Hearing her name created knots in your stomach. Again the sour taste returned to your mouth.

The question made him chuckle. "You know, you make it obvious when you like someone." It hurt Chan a bit, knowing that you didn't feel comfortable enough to share your feelings with him. Not enough to tell him about Sana, but he understood. "You're my best friend. If you need to vent about it, I'm here."

You allowed your body to fall onto his, laying your head on his shoulder. Finally, you could let it out. It wasn't the dramatic breakdown you expected. Just tears that stung and burned as they rolled down, and cottonmouth trying to talk about it. "How could she end it so easily? Everything was fine until I brought it up."

Chan put his arm around you and squeezed your shoulder. "Maybe you need to be a bit more understanding of why she did. She's a celebrity now. There's going to be eyes watching her every move. Understand that she ended it not because she didn't like you, but because of how hard Sana worked to be where she is now."