Admitting It

"Nice of you to join us, Ms. Brave," Miss Dennings glared at me as I entered the classroom.

"I- I was only two minutes late, ma'am. I'm sorry it won't happen again. Something jus-"

"Sit down," her face remained stony and cold as she addressed me before turning back to the board.

"Forgive me if I say this incorrectly, but what drug itself up her ass today?"

He's been listening to too many of my classmates and their conversations.

I stifled a laugh, not wanting to go further into the depths of Miss Dennings' bad side. "I don't know, William, but whatever it is, it's been there for a long time."

God, I wish somebody would fix her attitude. Everyone hates her and her class, and we're pretty sure she knows it, too. We don't think she cares though.

I paid attention for the rest of lecture, rolling my eyes at the repeat of rhetoric terms we had already learned. As class came to it's end, Miss Dennings asked me to stay behind for a moment.

I groaned inwardly but nodded.

It's the way she phrased it as a question as if I had a choice for me.

As the rest of my classmates filtered out of the room with a happy aura around them, I remained on the inside of the dreaded room, waiting for this "conversation" to be over. Miss Dennings went over to her desk and sat before beckoning me over with a finger.

I picked up my bag and went over to her desk, standing awkwardly in front of it. "You know, Ms. Brave. You're not so rich and spoiled that you can come into my lecture late and then not pay attention and act like either of those things are okay."

"But I did pay attention! I can show you my notes, where we went over the same terms three different times."

"Enough! Don't act like I didn't see that conversation between you and Fang over there!"

The second that name slipped from her lips, William took in a sharp breath. I glanced at him in worry, but continued to talk to Miss Dennings, letting my hand drop to my side.

Grab my hand, Will.

I felt his fingers slip in between my own and his body relaxed a bit. "With all respect Miss Dennings, please do not call him that. His name is William."

"I will call that creature whatever I wish, Lillian."

I gasped at the fact that she had called me by my first name. She hasn't done that before. Meanwhile, William's grip on my hand had become excruciating. I glanced to his face and noticed that his eyes had become and mixture of red and orange, a sort of ginger color.

Calm down. You're okay. I'm okay. We're okay. I promise.

I decided not to add on the fact that he was hurting me because I knew he would let go completely. If he did that, he would have no other comfort. I sighed when I felt his grip loosen a little.

"I understand, Miss Dennings. It won't happen again. May I go to last period now?"

"You can go."

I practically dragged William out of the room. Once we entered the hallway, I placed a hand on his face. "You okay?"

He didn't speak, only shook his head. I winced.

Shit, that was my fault.

"No, Lillian. Wasn't your fault. I would just like to go lay down now."