Chapter 18: The Night Is Young (i)

Start from the beginning

Zuzi frowns. "Really?"

I'm so excited, I snap my fingers. "I've read about that, too! For example, the MRI scan of a depressed brain is different from one without depression. I've seen the images too – the differences are so obvious."

Priscilla nods. "I know! It's scary, isn't it?"

"I want to see," Zuzi says.

"I'll send you the link after I find it again," Priscilla reassured her.

A thought has hit me. "Do you guys remember the culture shock syndrome that Frederik was talking about?"

Zuzi is frowning, but Priscilla understands immediately. "At the World Village Festival, right?"

I smile. "Exactly. You remember."

"Of course I do! It was the first time you hung out with us."

I try not to get distracted by the sudden surge of warmth that has enveloped my heart.

"Aw," Zuzi chuckles, reaching over to loop her arm around my shoulders. "Look, she's blushing."

"Shut up," I say, albeit half-heartedly. Doggedly, I concentrate on bringing the subject of conversation back to the thought that had popped into my head. "But listen. I just had a thought. I wonder if the Culture Shock Syndrome has any effects that can be detected on an MRI scan, the way mental illnesses can be."

"Hm." Priscilla's brow is furrowed; she seems to be thinking my words over. "I wonder..."

"It probably depends on how mental illnesses affect the brain, such that the effects show up on MRI scans," Zuzi suggests. "If the syndromes affect the brain the same way – then maybe?"

Priscilla and I both nod, because what Zuzi said makes sense to amateurs in psychology like us.

"It would probably be interesting to read up about that," I say.

"Totally," Priscilla laughs. "We could write a research paper on that – how culture shock syndrome in Finland has affected us."

I laugh as well, "You could write about it in your essay. You know – that essay competition about your experiences in Finland?"

"Shit!" Priscilla's exclamation is so loud, some of the others in the class turn to look at us. She slaps both hands over her mouth and shoots them a sheepish grin. When they've lost interest and turned back to their own pre-class catching-up, Priscilla hisses, "I completely forgot about that!"

"You shouldn't have reminded her," Zuzi says to me. "Now she's going to force us all to participate."

"I know," I say, turning the sides of my lips down in commiseration. "My bad."

"Hey," Priscilla whines, just as Elina walks in. "Come on, you know you want to do it. Wouldn't it be cool to write about everything that's happened since coming to Helsinki? So much has happened."

I'm almost glad when Elina turns to address us, because now there's no time for me to be persuaded.

"Shh," Zuzi shushes Priscilla, tossing an obvious wink in my direction. "Class is starting."

***

"It's going to take some more time for you to fully catch up," Elina sighs. She takes a sip of her coffee, looking forlornly down at the quiz I've just finished.

"Sorry," I say meekly.

"No, it's fine," she says. "Now that we know you're weak in prepositions, we can focus more on that next time."