Arc 1: Chapter 20

Start from the beginning

Elenor wanted to laugh at her acting. It was decent but funny. Holding herself back, she wiped her mouth with a napkin and replied back.

"Ah yes I did, it was lovely...his highness wouldn't let me be alone and always wanted to be by my side." she said with a sweet voice, her eyes looking down at her teacup with a smile on her face.

A maiden in love looked like she had. The ladies around them were whispering. Elenor was now glad her mother made her learn acting for a couple of years.

"How lucky,"

"His highness never left her alone? How nice..."

Isabella gritted her teeth, her hands turning into tight fists under the table before releasing them. With a fake smile on her face, she giggled.

"How lucky of you, Lady Elenor, to have his highness' attention."

One of her followers suddenly barged in, "Oh but Lady Isabella was with his highness not too long ago as well."

"Yes, I have been seeing his highness for the past few months." Isabella giggled, pushing a piece of her hair behind her ear.

"Sometimes we would also walk around the capital."

The ladies awed, complimenting Isabella.

"How adorable!"

"Lady Isabella truly is the perfect lady for his highness!"

"The two are lovely together."

Isabella glanced at Elenor with a provoking smile. Elenor noticed her smile. She couldn't help but laugh.

"Pft."

"What is so funny Lady Elenor?" Isabella asked with a frown.

Elenor composed herself, clearing her throat. "No nothing it's just that, I remembered his highness came over to my estate some time ago."

Everyone around her froze after hearing her statement. People who are from the royalty don't often visit someone else's estate. Elenor sipped on her tea before continuing,

"We also agreed to spend some time together soon."

'Two can play that game,'

Adding fuel to the fire, Elenor had a smug smile on her face as she made eye contact with Isabella, "His highness had tea with me as well,"

The whispers grew louder, eyes darting back at Elenor and Isabella. Elenor knew she had provoked Isabella enough so she went back to eating the desserts. As her hand reached out to the scones, something wet fell on her. Her hand froze as the tea fell from her head down to her dress, soaking her. The purple dress was now stained brown.

"Oh my goodness!! I spilled my tea on you by accident! I'm sure you will understand and forgive me." Isabella gasped, placing down the teapot.

She didn't give any towel or napkins, only snickering at her silently. Her followers also were giggling away, pointing fingers at Elenor as they whispered loudly to one another. Elenor grabbed a napkin close to her and calmly cleaned her face.

Slowly she stood up and gazed at Isabella. Isabella felt a shiver run down her spine but kept a strong front, looking down at her. Elenor opened her fan and covered half of her face, fanning herself at the same time.

"Oh dear, you have dirtied such a beautiful dress," Elenor spoke calmly, not breaking eye contact as she made her way towards Isabella, one step at a time.

"It was an accident, you will forgive me won't you?" Isabella smiled, placing her hand on her cheek as she added on, "After all you were my best friend once."

Elenor hummed, "Indeed we were once friends-" she stopped at a good distance between the two-

"I will forgive you this one and last time. However,"

In a swift moment, she closed her fan shut and suddenly she was on top of Isabella on the ground. The fan grazing against the skin of Isabella's neck. Isabella's face paled as she realised what had happened.

The ladies around them shrieked in shock but they were unable to move. The servants around them also didn't dare to move. The air was cold and menacing. Elenor leaned in and whispered into Isabella's ear like a devil sitting on her shoulder.

"If you do such a stunt or even try to hurt me, just remember that I can easily ruin your life."

"Wh..what nonsense are you saying?!" Isabella shouted angrily, her jaw was tense and her body was involuntarily trembling under Elenor.

Elenor chuckled, adding more fear into Isabella.

"You wouldn't want people to know how you aren't the real duke's daughter do you?"

Isabella's face paled even more, her throat tightening up. "...How.."

"Of course I know. I used to be your best friend, remember?" Elenor spoke in a soft tone.

Elenor felt Isabella shaking even more. Tapping her fan on her lip she continued,

"The duke and duchess lost their daughter when she was only four due to an incurable disease. So they brought you into their household as the replacement of their daughter, an orphan."

Elenor chuckled again, lightly patting Isabella's cheek as if to cheer her up, "Don't worry I won't tell anyone about this. Only you and I know this information so if you ever try to mess with me, you know the consequences alright?"

Elenor stood up and patted herself down. She turned to the other ladies and smiled, lifting her finger up to her lips, silencing all of them before leaving the tea party.

"Head back to the house." Elenor said, opening the carriage door herself.

The coachman stared at her but said nothing, following her orders, bringing her back to the estate. Elenor sighed, looking at her dress and hair. It was dirty and messed up. Although she was calm this whole time, in her heart she was already cursing at everyone at the tea party, wanting nothing more than to smack them or leave a decent punch on their faces.

Reaching back, Elenor wanted nothing but a nice long warm bath to get rid of the sticky feeling she had. Getting off the carriage, she made her way inside hearing murmurs from the workers who were working at the time she returned.

She noticed Alec walking towards her with large struts. She smiled with relief and with a hand waving at him she spoke, "Alec could you prepare a bath-"

"Milady, what happened to you? Why are you drenched in tea?" he abruptly cut her off, grasping her hand.

Alec never once cut her off before so when he did Elenor stared at him, puzzled at his sudden behaviour but obediently answered him.

"Lady Isabella spilled tea on me, I already forgave her and I'm sure she will be careful the next time." Elenor said casually like it wasn't a big deal.

It really wasn't a big deal to her and she already threatened her quite well so Isabella won't be able to do anything to her anytime soon. Alec had a frown on his face.

"Did the servants not provide you any towels or napkins to clean yourself?"

"No. I only had a napkin to wipe my face."

The frown on his face grew deeper but Elenor waved it off. All she wanted now was a warm bath. That was the only thing on her mind.

"Please prepare a warm bath for me, I have been feeling sticky."

Alec stood there for a while before releasing the grip on her hand. "Understood milady." he bowed and headed to the bathroom.

Sitting in the bathtub alone, Elenor's tense muscles finally relaxed as her body submerged into the water up until her neck. The maids already left once they finished washing her. Elenor was suddenly craving for alcohol but the drinking age here was sixteen so all she could do was make bubbles with her mouth to pass time.

---

Author's note: sorry for the late update, not feeling the best right now but hope you like this chapter!! *(੭*ˊᵕˋ)੭*ଘ