Part 24

"GABRIEL FAIRFAX!!!! You put your brother down right this instant!"

Gabe let go and Reed fell to the floor. They both turned to look at May standing in the doorway.

"I'm sorry May, but he started it."

May just gave him a look, the one that makes anyone feel like they are two years old again. Neither one of them said another word.

"I don't want to know who started all of this. I just want it to stop!"

"Sorry May."

"Reed I don't want to hear it."

May turned and walked back out the door. Gabe extended his hand to help Reed get up. Reed just looked up at him and stood up on his own.

"I'm sorry, I was just messing with you."

"You can mess with me all you want but when it comes to Winifred it's no longer funny."

"I'm sorry."

"Just forget it."

Upstairs Winnie sat on her bed thinking. Then she got up and walked out into the hall. She started to knock on Love's bedroom door, but Love was already answering the door with a smile.

"I heard someone coming. What's up?"

"I was wondering if we could talk."

Love gave her a good look over. Then opened the door farther and offered her a seat on her bed.

"Come on in. I will help if I can!"

"Thanks!"

"So what's wrong?"

"Love promise you won't tell Reed, please!"

"I promise!"

"Ok well did you know about Reed's surprise for me?"

"Yeah everyone knew about it."

"Well he just showed it to me...and I freaked. I acted cool and collected and said I loved it. But inside I was just freaking out. I mean that's human blood in that cooler. The last time I had human blood I killed people."

Love nodded at her in understanding but didn't say a word.

"I'm just afraid that the smell or taste of that blood downstairs is going to make me run off again like last time. I don't want to kill anymore innocent people."

"I know what you mean but it gets easier with time. It's part of our existence. You will learn to not think about it so much. You will learn to forget that they are people and have loved ones and just think of them as animals that you need to survive."

"And what if I don't. What if every time I get near a human I loose control and go on a killing spree? That wouldn't be good for me or you guys. I love all of you and I wouldn't want to put you in danger of being found out."

"Winnie please don't think about that. We will be fine, including you. We won't let you do anything you don't want to do. We all learned from our mistakes. That's why Reed came up with the idea of the cooler. That way you can start drinking it and get use to human blood. Trust me you won't go back to that disgusting animal cocktail Marcus came up with."

"Wait you had to drink that stuff too?"

"Oh no, I just tasted it a few weeks back when May was making it for you."

"Oh."

Winnie sighed in defeat. She hated being so weak compared to everyone else. She was ashamed. Love could see the sadness in her eyes.

"Winnie it's ok. Just because you have had trouble transitioning doesn't make you any less one of us. You are what you are and we all love you for it."

"Well not all of you."

"Give Addison some time. She is just having trouble dealing with Conner leaving."

"No, she didn't like me long before that. I never understood why though."

There was a knock on the door.

"Come in!"

"Oh sorry, Love can you help me with something real quick?"

"Sure!"

"I'll be right back."

Winnie just sat on the bed looking around Love's room. When she heard footsteps coming she turned to the door expecting Love to be there but was surprised to see Reed standing in the doorway.

"I was looking for you in your room when Grace and Love said you were in here."

"I was talking to Love but Grace needed her help with something."

Reed slowly stepped forward into the room.

"Winifred..."

"Reed..."

"Please you go first!"

"Reed, I'm so sorry about earlier. It just...wasn't what I was expecting and I just freaked out a little."

Reed sat down next to her, his head hung down ashamed.

"I didn't mean for it to upset you. I just wanted to help you."

"Oh I know! And for that I'm thankful! But I just haven't excepted that part of all this yet. I killed people and I didn't even think twice or even realize what I was doing. I'm only afraid of what will happen if I can't handle it and run off again."

"Winifred! I promise I will never let you hurt another person until you are ready. I know this isn't easy. I'm so sorry."

"For what? You were only trying to help? I understand that; I don't blame you."

"Not for the cooler. I mean for everything. If it wasn't for me you would still be with your family, going to classes, and living your life."

"I thought we had settled this. I love you! I know you didn't want this for me but we can't change what has happened. I have a new life now and a new family. Yes, there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think about my old life and miss my family, but there is nothing either of us can do about it. You must move on and stop blaming yourself."

Winnie softly kissed Reed on the cheek. Reed gently brushed the hair out of her face. He gazed into her eyes and kissed her with all of his silent heart.