46🚒

Pulling up at my old house is weird for me

Pulling up at my old house is weird for me. I can see my mom sitting on the front porch drinking tea admiring her flowers.

She died in the spare room downstairs and I can't shake that feeling but maybe with Remi here I will be ok.

"Wow, Gray this is nice. You grew up here?" Remi asked.

"I did I was just picturing mom on the front porch drinking tea. I can't come back here Remi my mom died in the house." I choke.

"Hey I'm with you and we are bringing a new life into the house and I know your mom would want you to be here and share the news." She said leaning over to kiss me. "Let's go share our news."

We walk hand in hand up to the porch and Diane appeared at the door smiling. "Guys please come in I made a cake."

"Hey, Diane thanks!" Remi said squeezing my hand following Diane into the kitchen.

"Hey, son! Remi! Have a seat let's have some cake." Davis said.

"Hey, dad," I said taking a seat not letting go of Remi's hand.

"So what brings you guys by?" Davis asked sipping his coffee.

"Well, I made some cookies. I know how much you like the coconut Davis." Remi smiled.

"Oh, thanks we do love those cookies." He smiles looking at Gray.

"Some things haven't changed Dad," I said.

"This kitchen was your mother's favorite room and I never wanted to change it," Davis said.

"I took Remi out to the graveyard she took mom some pink roses and she didn't even know it was her favorite," I said smiling over at Remi.

"I wondered who put those. I had taken some flowers out there but didn't leave them when I saw the fresh ones." Davis said.

"You go out there, dad?" I asked shocked.

"Yeah once a week for the last seven years," Davis said.

Remi squeezed my hand under the table as Diane put the cake down in front of us with some lemonade.

"We came here for a reason besides bringing cookies." Remi laughed.

"Oh?" Davis said.

I pulled the picture out of my pocket and laid it on the table.

"You are going to be grandparents," I said.

"Well, I'll be damn." Davis smiles.

Diane is up hugging us from behind and I let my guard down enough to let her.

"We found out this morning. Remi is between 5-6 weeks.  We go back in a month." I said.

"Well, I'm so excited!" Diane smiles and grabs ahold of Remi's arm.

"We are pretty excited too." Remi smiled.

"We told Levi and her parents. Figured we would wait to tell Violet." I said.

"Oh, she's going to be so excited. She loves her Aunt Remi!" Davis smiled.

"She's such a big help at cookie ground. She could make a cookie without me." Remi laughs.

"She helped her make calzones earlier today when we told Levi," I said.

"She even has her own apron." Remi laughed.

"Oh, I bet she's cute!" Diane said.

"I have a picture let me show you," Remi said getting out her phone.

"Hey son lets go outside on the porch and talk shall we?" Davis asked.

Remi squeezed my hand under the table she's my support but we need to talk. "Sure let's go.

I reluctantly get up and follow him outside and sit down in moms favorite chair.

"I know it's hard for you to be here son. I know you miss your mom and hell I miss her so much." Davis sighed.

"I know dad. That woman in there pushed me to come and she made me realize that I need to give Diane a chance. So here I am trying." I said.

"I'm glad your here son. I miss you boys coming around and I don't see Violet as much." He said.

"I'm sure Remi will fix that. I never thought I would get married much less have a baby. I've smiled so much it hurts." I laugh.

"Just wait till that baby is placed in your arms. You will never be the same." Dad smiled.

Remi and Diane joined us on the porch and we laughed and talked for the next hour and it was nice.

On the way back home we stopped off at the graveyard and told mom about the baby. Remi cleaned off her headstone again and took a copy of the sonogram picture and taped it to her stone.

I had to choke back tears because she wants to include her the best way she knows how. "Thanks for this babe. My mom would have been so excited about our baby. She always said one day a girl will come around and you won't know which way to Sunday. She was right." I laugh.

"I'm glad that I decided to move and took that leap. It was meant for us to meet. Who knows your mom may have brought me here." She smiled and kissed me before heading back to the truck.

I never thought of it that way but maybe she did bring Remi my way. I couldn't be happier either way. I looked back at moms grave one last time before jumping in the truck.

"Can we stop by the shop? I need to check on cookies." She said.

"You know when you get further along you really need to hire someone to cover making cookies when you can't be there," I said.

"I have thought about it and that's why Joy has been learning to make cookies when we aren't busy. She will be able to make them when I have the baby and by that time comes she will be a pro. But I think I can sit and bake up until I have the baby." She said.

"If you think you can I'm all for it and when you need a nap you can go upstairs and leave them to run the place. Pete said that Hunter loves the job. Said your really nice and nice to look at." I laugh.

"His young hormones are working overdrive." She laughs as we pull up at the shop.