Uncertainty

::Short Chap::

*~*Kanao POV*~*

I wasn't sure if I could do this. This is how I've been living for longer then I remember. I don't talk until I'm told to. No one ever tells me to talk. I remember the first time I spoke without permission, I got punished.

~Flashback~

I was just 4 years old. My mom dead and my dad abandoned me. So there was no one to take care of me. I was all dirty and my hair was messy. I was so hungry. I hadn't eaten real food in days. I don't know how long it was. I saw this store. it was full of bread and fruits. My favorite was Mango. They're so sweet.

I didn't know any better since I was just 4. I didn't know about money. I just thought that if there is food you eat it. So I grabbed one, and the store owner caught me. He grabbed my hand. " You dare to steal from me?! I'll teach you a lesson!! " He said. He pulled me away and after a few days I was starving. He placed a bowl of something in front of me.

I think it was dog food. But I didn't care. I grabbed some of it with my hand and shoved the food in my mouth. He grabbed my neck and threw me across the room. I was pretty small so I guess it was easy. I started to cry. I cried a lot. It hurt. " You don't eat unless your told to. You get no dinner " He said stepping on my stomach.

I coughed up some blood and he started laughing. I didn't understand much back then so I thought this was just something that happens to people. After two years of being there I hadn't spoken a word, or done anything without being told. That was when I saw them. Shinobu and Kanae. They came in, gave me water, and beat up that guy. It turns out he was a demon that put humans as his slaves.

Then, I didn't know how to do anything. I was so happy that they saved me, gave me a home and let me eat. Shinobu seemed a little annoyed when I didn't do things unless I was told.

~End~

I stand up, after that memory I've made up my decision. I walk across the hall, to Shinobu's room. I hesitantly knocked on the door. " Kanao, please come in " I heard her voice say. I open the door. Mr Tomioka was sleeping with his head on her lap. I bowed in front of the two. I still wasn't entirely sure that I wanted to ask this. Actually being here made me second guess. So I flipped the coin. Heads. I felt relieved.

" Um, I need help with something " I said.
" Oh, what is it? " She asked with her usual smile. She's worn that same smile since Kanae's death. " Well, sometimes when I flip my coin, it comes up tails. And then I'll feel sad " I said. She just smiled. But it seemed like she actually meant it this time. " That means, that your learning to have your own opinion on things. When we found you you couldn't even eat unless your told to. But now you've come very far " She said.

" But a lot of times I don't feel sad about not talking " I said. " That's fine. Your still learning. But just go on this instead. If you can't decide whether you should have peaches or apples and you wanna flip the coin with heads being peaches and tails being apples. If it lands on tails and your sad, that means you really wanted peaches you just weren't sure " She smiled. " So if I feel sad, that means I really wanted the other? " I asked and she nodded.

" Exactly " She said. I hugged her tightly. Her and had been a really good family to me. And everyone else in the butterfly mansion.
" Thank you so much " I said. She hugs me back. " It's my pleasure Kanao " She said.