FIFTEEN

The sound of a loud knock on the door made Luna jump from inside the living room

The sound of a loud knock on the door made Luna jump from inside the living room. She stood up from the couch and set the newspaper she was reading onto the cushion next to her. Slowly, she crossed the room and looked out the window next to the door to see a familiar face standing in front of it. She let out a small breath before opening the door to reveal Sam Uley looking back at her.

"Hey Luna," He greeted her "how's it going?"

"It's good, thanks for asking." She felt a cold breeze through the doorway "Here come inside, it's freezing."

Sam chuckled "What're you talking about? It's not even that bad."

"Not everyone has a furnace built into their body, Sam." She reminded him with a smile.

"Yeah, yeah, I know." He grinned "Not yet at least, right?"

Luna forced herself to mirror his cheerful expression "I guess so."

The girl invited him inside where he sat on one of the barstools at the counter. She stood on the opposite side of the counter as him, next to the sink. He looked at her for a moment before continuing the conversation.

"How have you been doing with that?" Sam then asked her "I'm sorry I haven't been by as much as usual... I've just been busy and haven't gotten the chance to."

"I um- I've been fine. I'm not too worried." She admitted.

"You're dad told me about something that happened this morning... You want to talk about it?" He heard her let out a deep sigh then said "You don't have to if you don't want to. I just know that sometimes it's good to let things out."

Luna leaned up against the counter and told him honestly "I just- I've had a lot on my mind. I think the whole transformation thing has really put a lot of stress on me. I guess I just think that it would be easier if I maybe just don't have the gene." 

"I understand that." Sam nodded.

"And please don't tell my dad what I just told you. I know that he'd probably be really disappointed if he knew I said that... Especially to you. I just know that you were in the same position that I am before you went through your transformation, so you know what for me right now." She followed up.

"You're right, I do. Luna, just know that you don't need to be so hung up over this. Either you have the gene or you don't and with or without it- your family won't care."

Suddenly the sound of Luna's phone ringing erupted through the small kitchen. Sam immediately stopped what he was saying and looked at her phone that was sitting on the counter. She looked at the caller I.D. and quickly grabbed the phone before he could see the name on the screen.

"Do you mind if I hurry and take this?"

"No, go ahead." He nodded.

She tapped the answer button and put the phone to her ear.