Chapter 34- Approved of him.

Start from the beginning

Many years passed by. And one night, my childhood dreams came true. She died.
I attended her funeral with your father by my side. Both of us smiling.
I was somewhere around 27 at that time. And that night, he proposed to me.
Avu: what did you say?
Mother: yes, in the most jovial voice ever.
And that was the biggest mistake of my life. I didn't know back then. But the moment he slipped that ring onto my finger, he had somewhat killed me.
It had been somewhere around a year later from there. I was pregnant with you. And that's when the problems started.
One morning he came up to me and said he wanted an open relationship. He said that he wanted to be free to go date other girls too.

And I refused.

My love for him was pure. But perhaps, one sided.
So he saw other girls behind my back while I carried his child in me.

The day you were born Avneet, was a day in my life that I can never forget.

He had gotten married to another woman that day.
He came to the hospital and told me that I could either divorce him, or stay married to him and bear with his wants!
I was horrified and depressed.
But I looked down at you, and I said that I would stay with him. For you.
He said he would see me again, and he would do it for you.
But he left. And never came back.

My mothers words came back to me. "Vo tujhe chor dega!"

I cried like hell that day. Not because he left. But all because I had hated my mother my whole life.
I had hated the only person who was there for me.
And I regret it.
That is why Avneet, I keep you from Siddharth!
In you I see my own past. The one I wish I could change.

Avu: but mother, not every love story will end up that way!
Mother: well, mark my words Avneet! He's not good for you! And one day he too will leave you to fend for yourself!
Avu: no mother I trust Siddharth!
Mother: (letting out a snicker) look at the glass window. That looks like your father and I on our wedding day right.
Avu: yes.
Mother: but that's wrong. It's us on the day he left me. That picture is my reminder that you are the reason I still have a link to him.
It is a reminder that you are the reason (showing Avu the ring on her finger) I have not thrown this ring in the bin yet.

Mother: but I once told you that that picture could mean different things. Look at it.
That's you in between Avneet. And that is Siddharth getting married. But not to you. To Sana Zubair, the girl he loves!
Avu: (shock-struck) H-how do you know about Sana?!
Mother: I asked Siddharth once, who do you love. And he told me, 'I love Sana Zubair, she's the love of my life.'
Avu: (sighing) He told you that huh? Expected it. (Turning around and walking away)
Mother: mark my words Avneet Kaur. Vo thjhe chor dega.
(Avu walking out the door and back to her room)
~~~~~~
—Of course Siddharth told her that. Because it's true, Sana is the girl Siddharth loves.
And most probably will always love.
Mother thinks that Siddharth will leave me one day.
But I know he won't, he can't! Because you can't leave someone that you were never with in the first place.
Just as you can't lose something you never had. (Signing)—
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sid POV
Sid: you know what Abhi! I have made up my mind!
Abhi: please no more omelettes!
Sid: it's not about that. Ive made up my mind that I'm going to leave Sana. Forgive and forget!
Reemi: Wait you mean it?! (Shocked and amazed at the same time)
Sid: yeah. I mean she's moved on and so should I! Like, I have a life too right!
Faisu: (waking in) we thought you'd never come to your senses! (Looking up and putting his hands together)Thank you lord!
Sid: ugh don't be so dramatic about it!
Reemi: Oh and by the way I have another date today!
Sid: who's the unlucky guy? (Earning an elbow in the stomach from Reem)
Reemi: do you guys have to know?!
Faisu: yes! And we have to approve too!
Reem: (frustrated but knowing that they're right) fine! His name is Jaijeet Singh.
All the three together: Ooooo. And...
Reemi: and he's my age.
Faisu: and.
Reemi: and I like him.
All three: and!...?
Reemi: and I think I wanna Kill all of you!
(Then finally snapping out)
Sid: when are we gonna meet him?
Abhi: (not letting Reem reply) oh today!? That would be awesome!
Faisu: yeah! Can't wait to meet our hone vala bhai!
(All of them fistbump and get back to whatever they were doing leaving an extreme an extremely confused and rather traumatized Reemi just standing there, speechless)
Reemi: tonight? What just happened?
~~~~~~
Reemi POV
9:34pm
Reemi: (on the phone) hey! I'm outside the cafe. Where you at?
Jaijeet: hop right in. First table to the right.
(Cuts the call)
Reemi: WAIT! (Stopping Sid, Abhi and Faisu)
Reemi: (holding Sid's collar and making him bend down to face her) Don't misbehave! Don't make him feel awkward! And DEFINABLE DON't SCARE HIM AWAY LIKE YOU DO TO EVERY OTHER PERSON YOU've EVER MET!
Sid: (smirking) (sweet and sarcastic) honey... I think you're losing your mind.
Who would run away from a irresistible face like mine. Rather he might fall head over heels for me and leave you!
Reemi: (pulling his ears) If you dare mess up! Then I swear I will make you clean not only the whole house but also the whole country! For a month!
Sid: (gulping) Fine. We wont mess up.
(Reemi walking in and giving Jaijeet a warm hug as Sid, Abhi and Faisu take their seats with Reemi siting in between them, all of them facing Jaijeet who's already feeling awkward)
Reemi: (sighing with annoyance) Jai, meet my retarded brothers. Siddharth, Abhishek and-
Jai: and Faisu right?
Reemi: wait you know-
Jai: yeh. Seen you on loads of magazines. You're pretty famous.
(Shaking hands with Faisu and then Sid and Abhi)
Faisu: so... we're here to approve of you. (Reemi elbowing him in the stomach)
Reemi: (through gritted teeth) NO. (Trying to be sweet but glaring at Faisu) They're here to get to know you a bit more.
Sid: yeah yeah. Same thing. Now I cut to the chase Jaijeet Singh.
Sid: Age?
Jai: 24
Sid: Parents?
Jai: alive. But dead to me.
Sid: Sibling?
Jai: (sighing with sadness) sister. But I haven't seen her for years now.
Abhi: Past girlfriends?
Jai: (now smirking) Have had a few. After all who can resist this irresistible face?!
Sid: (gasping dramatically) (like a 5year old) that's my line!
Faisu: (letting out a bit of a laugh) where do you see yourself and my sister in 5 months?
Jai: I can't tell... where does she want to go with me?
Abhi: (checking his nails dramatically) (monotonic) marriage.
Jai: (embarrassed and rather traumatized)
Jai: wait really? (to Reem who now goes red and starts counting the last moment of Sid, Abhi and Faisu's lives)
Sid: no. But I feel the trauma bro. (Dramatically) She's gonna kill you if you make even the tiniest of mistakes. She's gonna threaten you at every chance she can get. And besides iski shakal dekha hai?! Ekdam churael jaise!
(Reemi punching Siddharth in the stomach as Abhi and Faisu laugh. And much to Reemi's surprise, Jai laughs the loudest)
Jai: don't worry about it, you're beautiful as you are.
Reemi: (smiling) (then glaring at Sid) I just wish all guys were like you!
Faisu: favorite color?
Jai: blue, green and white.
Sid: Favorite food?
Jai: French toast. Especially when served with omelettes.
Sid: YES! Reemi for the first time you've found some rational guy!
(Sid and Jai high-five)
Faisu: and almost lastly... what do you see in this Reemi that made you like her? (Whispering to Jai) cuz I'm warning you run away or else you're gonna regret it later!
(Reemi who heard everything immediately punches Faisu who's now rubbing his stomach and tending to his fractured ribs [not literally])
Jai: that's what I like about Reemi. That she's not like all the other girls I've dated. She's strong and independent.
And cuz its quite entertaining to listen to you guys insult her and then get beaten up.
(Reemi smiling at Jaijeet)
Sid: right. I totally approve of him! He's great! (Giving Jai a fist bump)
Faisu: yup... just don't get killed.
Abhi: alright... then we'll leave you guys to... whatever you were gonna do before we came. (To Jai) if you get killed then I'll tell your story;).
Jai: yea... you do that. (Letting out a laugh as the three walk out of the cafe leaving Reemi and Jai alone)
Jai: (ordering 2 cups of hot chocolate)
Jai: right! So why didn't you tell me that you have such AMAZING brothers!
Reem: wait... you like them?
Jai: yeah! They're great! And Faisu, are you kidding, you forgot to tell me that your brother is a famous MODEL!?
Reem: he's not exactly my brother... well not really.
Jai: I'm still confused.
Reemi: um...my kinda dad and mom are Sid's godparents. We used to live together so I'm kinda his sister. Then few months ago he moved out... and he's living with his real brother Abhishek. Faisu and him are like inseparable... so they're brothers too technically. That makes the three of them my brothers. And so I'm living with them now.
Jai: and what about your parents?
Reem: they are going through a divorce and I don't think they really care about what happens to me... (sighing) so the three of them are practically the only family I have.
Jai: and they're the only family you need. They've never let you feel alone have they?
Reem: (smiling) oh hell no!
Jai: (letting out a laugh)
Reem: what about your parents.
Jai: they disgust me. My dad left my mom when I was damn young. And I threw myself out of their lives forever as soon as I turned 18. My mother is an egoistic, strict, rude and unsympathetic woman!
Reem: and your sister?
Jai: she's the reason I came back from London after so many years. I miss her yaar. She's a year older than me but she's so much more mature. She has the amount of guys that even I don't.
She's still with my mom. Bearing her wrath 24/7. 
I never found the courage to go back to her all these years... but now I have decided that I will.
And I also missed Rakshabandhan... she must be so disappointed.
Reemi: trust me she'll be overjoyed when she sees you. Every sister on this planet would be!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Vomment!
Do we need a character sketch for Jaijeet?

Until I write again,

<—Sidneetography —>