chapter one

"They what!?"
"Kicked me out." I repeat, pressing my phone to my ear and pressing my lips together as I hear my voice's echo. I sound like a man. Amazing.
"Why would they do that?"
"I..." The nervosity never seems to stop, no matter how many people I've told. "Chase, I'm trans. A trans girl."
"Wait, really?" I couldn't tell whether he was just surprised or angry.
"Yeah..."
"And- That's why they kicked you out? And now you need a place to stay?"
"Yep."
"Look... I wish I could help you, you know that. But... You know my parents. Remember when I mentioned I might be bi? They went completely crazy. And they'd totally wanna know why you had to leave."
"Yeah, right..." I gulp.
"Have you tried the rest of our friends?"
"I did. Jordan and Lee said they can't, Taylor and Chad basically just buried me in random transphobic slurs... Yeah."
Silence. Then: "Taylor and Chad did what again!? Dude. I'll beat their asses on Monday."
"Bro, don't. It's okay. Don't worry about it, I'm alright."
"No, you're not."
"Anyway. I don't wanna waste my battery. Bye then. Thanks."
"Wait. What should I call you?"
I freeze. "You're the first one to ask me that. I... Liv. Please."
"Alright then. Maybe we'll see each other. Hope so. Bye, sis, love you."
He hangs up. Sis. He called me Sis. And asked for my name. I feel tears in my eyes for the third time today, but this time I'm just happy. Despite the situation or the fact that I'm sitting on a bench by the playground with my only belongings packed in a bag right next to me. I slowly lower my hand with the phone and turn it off before putting it in my pocket. Thank you, Chase. Thank you so much.
Now I need to find a place to sleep. Maybe the bench? It's pretty late already and my stomach is grumbling, so I eat some of the chocolate and lay down. I'm still hungry, but I can't eat all my food yet or spend all of my money. Like that, I fall asleep soon, tired from all the running and walking around the city.

Something touches my hand, slowly opens my fingers. For a second or two, I have no idea where I am, but then I remember and my eyes shoot open. The expression on the face of the person right in front of me changes, they rip the backpack out of my hand and run.
"HEY!" I yell, now fully awake and jump up. Shit, that was too fast. I almost fall over, but then I catch myself and run after the thief. I'm lucky the sun's rising, I can see them pretty well. They run into a narrow side street, another one and another one. I'm slowly catching up, and then, I hit them. We both fall over, I land on their back.
"Give. Me. My fucking bag."
"Okay, okay, just get off me then." A feminine-sounding voice replies.
I do as they say, but still keep my hand around their arm.
"Here, dude. Here you go. Just don't sue me, okay?" They hand me the bag and look at me. "Wait, are you even a dude?"
I take my bag. "No, I'm a girl. Thanks. And don't ever try to steal my shit again."
They start grinning. "Oh my god. You're trans, aren't you?"
I raise an eyebrow. "Thanks for reminding me I'm not cis-passing."
The person facepalms immediately. "Jesus Christ, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to- Well, I was asking because my entire friend group is homeless LGBTQ+ youth, so..."
"Wait, really? Oh my god..." I start smiling as well.
"Wanna come with me? You seemed pretty lonely. I'm Brianna, by the way. You can call me Bri though. She and her pronouns."
I think about it for a moment, then: "Liv. And... Yes." I've got nothing to lose, right?
Bri smiles. "C'mon then." She says and leads the way.

Bri's black hair is cut short, she looks pretty masculine. Her skin is white and she wears a black leather jacket over a white band shirt or something, I couldn't quite see it yet. She also has black leather pants and boots, which I have to admit looks pretty cool on her.

After a few turns, she stops. "HEY HOMOS! Come out!"
A feminine-looking person with olive skin and a black ponytail steps out from behind a trashcan. "You've made this pun about ten thousand times, none of us are actually homosexual - except you - and... Ohh, what do we have here?"
"Yeah, this is... Liv, right?"
I nod. "Hey."
"I'm Olive, she/her please." She smiles.
Someone rather masculine-looking with pale skin and short red, curly hair and bright blue eyes creeps out from below a pile of dirty, ripped blankets. "Did you find her on the street or what? You know it's dangerous to just randomly bring strangers here." He gives me a nod and a short smile. "Don't take this personal, please. You can never be too careful. My name's Caleb, by the way. He is the pronoun. And this is Avery, they're agender." He adds, pointing at a head poking out of a trashcan. I notice that he's wearing an oversized sweater, the sleeve pulled over his left hand.
The person in the trashcan has long, dark brown hair and sparkling eyes that seem even larger through their glasses, they're asian and smiling shyly. "Hi..." Their voice is pretty deep, I expected something else considering they look pretty feminine.
"Hi." I say. "Oh, it's she and her for me, please."
"Sweet." Olive grins, walks over to me and puts her arm around my shoulders. "Welcome to our palace, Liv. Is there any chance that you listen to girl in red or Sweater Weather?" She winks and Bri laughs loudly.
"Olive! Don't flirt already, you're scaring her!"
"Wait, you guys call that flirting?" I ask.
There are a few secnods of silence, until Caleb says: "Honey, you have a lot of queer culture to learn about."