prologue

The first thing I see as I enter the kitchen is my parents. They're sitting there, looking at me with serious faces.
"Hey." I try a smile. "Did something happen?"
My mother nods. "Luke... You have this instagram account, right?"
"Yeah, what about it?" I ask. Did they find out? They can't have, I only put trans stuff on my secret account.
"So, we've been checking who you're following..." My father begins
Shit, did they find the account? I take my schoolbag off my shoulder and sit down.
"...and we saw this account with you as profile picture."
I try to look like an irritated cis dude. Maybe they didn't open it?
"So we've decided to open it." My mother continues. Fuck. "And we saw you posting things about... Being a girl? A trans girl?"
Okay, I have no choice now. I have to face it.
"Um, yeah. I've been... I've been wanting to tell you guys for a while now. I'm trans, I'm a girl, and... it'dbeamazingifyoucalledmeliv." The last sentence is spoken so quickly that I'm not sure if they understood it. But then, after several seconds of silence, my mother raises her voice.
"And you're serious?"
I nod, avoiding eye contact. My father clears his throat.
"Well, under these circumstances we've decided that... We no longer have a son."
"Exactly, dad. Because you now have a daughter, right?" I give a forced laugh. That was the type of joke he would make. Pretend it was something serious and then laugh about it. Right?
"Uhm. No. That's not why."
I look at their faces. No. Oh my god. "You're not... You're not disowning me, are you?"
"Yes." My mother replies. "That's what we're going to do if you really are that way. You know, I don't want a child that'll go to hell."
That is the moment I jump from my chair and run upstairs into my room. This can't be real. It can't. Oh god, I already thought their reaction wouldn't be the best, but like that?! No. A quiet sob escapes my lips and I feel a warm tear running down my face. Oh my god. Oh my fucking god. I let myself fall against the wall and slide down, finding myself sitting on the ground and crying.

Come on, Liv. The last part of my brain that can still think clearly tells me. You need to pack. They want you to leave, you need some things. You can't just go like that. I nod to myself, pulling my backpack out from below my bed and wiping away my tears. What do I need? Clothes. Water and food - well shit, that's in the kitchen. At least I have some chocolate and a bottle of water here. Money. I've got twelve dollars left - that's something? Phone - luckily still at 90% - charger, fully charged powerbank. Wristwatch. Blanket. Anything else? No, don't think of your parents, just what you need. Earphones? Well, it can't hurt, and maybe I could sell them. Two books - against boredom and for money. I'm glad I have such a huge backpack. I add a few more necessary things before shouldering the bag.
You can do this, Liv. I tell myself and blink the tears away, taking a deep breath. My hand is shaking as I grab the door handle... and push it down. They're just a few feet away from me, whispering, but immediately stopping as they see me.
"Last chance to take it back." I say, trying to sound as though I hadn't just cried my eyeballs out. I fail, and my voice is shaking.
"Leave." My mother's voice is sharp, and serious. And it breaks something inside me.

I run past them and storm out of the door as the tears stream down my cheeks again.