Coffee Shop Calamities.

- - ☕️ - -
[How about a chapter where the reader is a clumsy barista and Hayley finds her clumsiness really cute?]
Requested by @Wolfiedogreads
idk how or why it's taken me this long to write a coffee shop au.
but anyways, here it is friends!!
🖤 ENJOYYYY 🖤

- "Two extra hot cappuccinos to go, up next!" You heard your boss Christoper bellow from behind you, as he rung in the final order of the mid-morning rush hour.
- "You got that, Y/N?" He questioned rapidly, flicking his eyes over his shoulder to see if you'd actually registered what he'd said at all.
- "Uh, yeah..." You mumbled at first, as you fumbled around at the coffee machine - you'd think that you'd never used it before.
- "I mean, yes! Sure, on it." You amped up the enthusiasm, whilst reaching out to grab two regular takeaway cups from your left.
- the last time you'd done that, the whole stack went tumbling onto the floor.
- you seriously couldn't touch anything without disaster ensuing soon after.
- it was like you were constantly wearing mittens on your hands - that obstructed your precision, accuracy and grip.
- it had been almost two months now, since you got accepted for the job as a barista at santiago's coffee shop and cafe.
- in all fairness, you were surprised that you'd even lasted this long.
- you thought you would've been sacked within a week, at least.
- as your clumsy nature and socially awkward personality usually didn't work in your favour.
- but, it seemed as though the boss had taken quite the liking to you.
- he related to your easily flustered ways.
- he told you frequently, that he used to be just like you in high school.
- before it went to college and finally found his feet and where he fit in.
- so unlike other bosses you'd endured in the past, he didn't scream if you accidentally broke something or embarrass you if you almost spilt a drink on a customer. 
- he always managed to find the bright side in a every situation, he never made you feel bad or came across condescending.
- he'd just laugh it off, make a joke out of the incident and encourage you to do the same too.
- "Nice one, bud." Chris grinned, slapping his palm against your own in celebration before crossing his arms over his chest and sighing contently - as he took in the bustling surroundings of his pride and joy.
- "You only broke three things today." He chuckled lowly, his brown eyes catching yours momentarily as you rocked back and forth on your heels - unsure of exactly what to say.
- "That's better than yesterday?" You offered shyly, with a small scrunch of your nose as you shoved your hands into the back pockets of your denim jeans.
- "Definitely!" He enthused happily, bumping your shoulder with his own; before dragging a hand through his shoulder-length wavy chocolate locks.
- "Maybe we can bring it down to two tomorrow, yeah?" He added in cheekily, as he pushed up his glasses - which caused you to let out a tiny flurry of giggles.
- "I'll try my best." You told him with a little laugh in tow, before you felt your stomach drop as he began to gather his things from underneath the counter.
- "Seeing as you did so well this morning," He began with purpose, his pupils continuing to watch your every move as he shoved his wallet and keys into his pockets. "How about you hold down the fort for me?"
- "Ju-Just me?" You gawked at him blankly, with a drooping jaw and reddened cheeks as panic began to set in - you'd never been left alone before. "All by myself?"
- "You think you can handle that?" Chris prompted cautiously, with a raised eyebrow as he'd clearly noticed you beginning to sweat. "We should stay steady now until noon."
- "Plus Candace's shift starts in twenty, she'll help you out too." He stated knowingly, before peering down at his watch to double-check and further confirm his statement.
- "Umm..." You hesitated slightly at first, with wide eyes and visible look of uncertainty present in your features - but, you managed to power through your insistent worry.
- "Of course, I think..." You shot out your words at great speed, as you began to rub the back of your neck nervously. "...I think I'll be fine, no problem."
- this was a big moment and you definitely didn't wanna screw it up - in any possible way. - that could jeopardise the huge amount of trust that chris had put in you.
- "Awesome." He replied promptly, seemingly surprised that you'd actually said yes. "I'll only be an hour or so, I've just got some errands to run a few blocks away."
- "See you soon, yeah?" He called out swiftly, as his feet picked up their hurried pace - out from behind the counter and over to the door.
- "Try not to wreck the place." He commented mischievously, which was followed up by a little wink to let you know he wasn't be serious.
- "You got it, Chris!" You answered him casually at first, until you realised you probably shouldn't have called him that.
- he was still your boss after all, not your brand new best friend.
- "Oh shit, I-I mean-" You heard yourself curse aloud, which was embarrassing in itself, so you ultimately face-palmed - scrunching your eyes shut in shame, before reopening them reluctantly to finish off your sentence.
- "Boss! You're my boss." You mumbled out, between anxiety induced laugher - as you felt yourself become flustered all over again. "Sure, that's what I was gonna say."
- chris didn't seem to care though; he was used to your little quirks by now.
- "Bye, Y/N." He waved you off sweetly, with a kind smile and soft chuckle - until he was out completely out of sight.
- leaving the responsibility of watching over the coffee shop on your shoulders.
- you told yourself it'd be just fine.
- there was nothing to stress about, you knew what you were doing and you wouldn't be alone for too long anyways.
- but, little did you know; the next customer to walk through the door - would send you into an uncontrollable spiral.
- of curiosity, desire and maybe even love?

- "Thanks so much." You beamed brightly, as you waved goodbye to a small group of customers - who had just finished their coffees and were preparing to leave.
- "Have a great day!" You strung out your words like song, as you continued to practice your best customer service smile.
- but, all you got in return was a half-hearted grin before the apparent trio pilled out of the door at a speedy pace.
- your brows frowned sadly, as you began to clear their now abandoned table of dirty dishes while thoughts of wonder and doubt ran circles in your mind.
- why were people so rude sometimes? they could've at least said 'you too' or something of the like.
- maybe you were just too overbearing or forward with your tone? that could've been it.
- regardless, of their reasoning you weren't surprised.
- you weren't exactly the best when it came to people, or any kind of social interaction in fact.
- you were always so paranoid that you'd say something stupid or that your intentions would come across the wrong way.
- that you didn't usually say much.
- however, since you'd started at santiago's you were talking to more and more people each and every day; so casual conversations weren't much of an issue anymore.
- that was unless, you were talking with someone who you found attractive - that was a totally different story.
- you hadn't mastered the art of 'playing it cool' in front of a crush yet and you were soon to be reminded of that very thing.
- you found yourself back behind the counter again - after a few solid minutes of tidying up, clearing and spraying tables.
- it wasn't as noisy now, as it has been earlier this morning.
- there were a few customers still scattered around, but most of them seemed to be zoned out; working on their pcs.
- or listening to music from their phones.
- so, you saw this as the perfect opportunity to grab yourself a drink and a little snack while you had the chance.
- you crouched down slowly, and reached out for your water bottle that was sat on the bottom shelf next to a box filled with chocolate bars and soft candies.
- courtesy of your co-worker, candace.
- you rummaged through the assortment of sweet treats curiously, with pouted lips upon realising that your favourite wasn't there.
- or so you thought.
- that was until you spotted the distinct yellow rapper peaking out from behind the box, as you pushed it aside to find that the delicacy had been pushed to the back of the shelf.
- "All the way back there, seriously?" You grunted out in frustration, as you stretched your arm out in an attempt to grab the candy bar - but it wasn't enough.
- your arms were of course, too short.
- so you tucked your head underneath, to give yourself a greater advantage.
- which you soon realised probably wasn't your smartest idea - but, it worked nonetheless.
- "Got it!" You cheered loudly, a toothy grin spreading widely across your cheeks - as you wrapped your knuckles proudly around the tasty prize.
- although, your little moment of victory didn't last long - as you were suddenly startled by an unfamiliar sound.
- "Excuse me? Hello?" You heard a female voice call somewhat urgently over the counter, causing you to whack your head off the shelf out of pure shock. "Anyone here?"
- "Ouch, damn it!" You winced quietly, while you heard the deafening thud ring in your eyes as the blood began to rush to your sore head.
- "Oh my god, shit." The same delicate tone continued on, although it was now drenched in concern upon realising that there was in fact someone there and she'd just scared the living hell of them. "I'm so sorry."
- "Yes, I'm- I'm here." You managed to mumble out between disjointed breaths, as you tried to gather your scattered thoughts after such a serious blow to the skull.
- "Can I help you-" You were about to bring out your politely polished customer service voice, but as soon as you set eyes on the woman before you
- that plan went out the window.
- you had been practically left gasping for air.
- it was almost like you didn't know how to breathe anymore - the platinum blonde with the apologetic smile, had ripped the world out from under you.
- and you didn't know what to do with yourself.
- "I, umm..." You gulped nervously, as the pair of you looked into each other's eyes - you'd probably been staring at her for too long at this point but you just couldn't pull away.
- "Jesus, are you alright?" The lady soon broke the silence, with a question of great importance as well as a reluctant chuckle. "I didn't mean to startle you, that bad."
- "Sure, yeah I'm-I'm fine." You brushed it off with a few nods of your head, as you began to fidget on the spot - whilst your thumb soothed over the significantly sized bump that was swelling on your forehead. "I'm just..."
- "...easily spooked." You finished your sentence, with an unexpected giggle - it seemed as though the woman's laughter was seriously  contagious.
- you'd never seen anyone like her before.
- you could already tell she had such a personality, such a presence and aura that it left you lost for words.
- her appearance was simply stunning.
- so stunning, that you knew she definitely hadn't been in here before - or you would've remembered her; she seems like someone who's impossible to forget.
- her platinum blonde strands were pulled up into a vey neat ponytail, and she wore a shapely pair of white-rimmed glasses.
- sliver hoops hung from her each of her ears.
- and she wore an off white, almost gray suede jacket, a blue and white long-sleeved button up underneath and pair of green corduroy trousers.
- her style was insanely fucking cool - you loved everything about it.
- you just wanted to find out more about her.
- "Sorry about that." You apologised sincerely for your earlier antics, before pulling a clean tray up onto the counter in front of her.
- "What can I get you?" You asked the woman kindly, as you tried to hold it together and not make an even bigger fool of yourself.
- "I'll take a almond milk latte, please." She responded quickly, with a clear smirk tempting her features as she pulled her large purse out from her tote bag that had the letters GDY written on it in bold.
- "Oh!" She then gasped unexpectedly, and your face flushed red with panic as it usually did when you'd done something wrong. "And, a cinnamon roll too. Both to go."
- "Good choice." You stated approvingly, as you took a pair of black handled tongs into your grasp to take the biggest cinnamon roll from the display and put it into bag.
- "Thank you." You heard the woman reply instantly, upon accepting the bag; her voice seemingly becoming more joyful by the second. - as she inched herself further over the counter, casually resting on both of her elbows.
- she must've wanted to be closer to you, and you weren't at all complaining.
- you were in heaven, her glorious scent wrapping itself around you as you made your way over to the coffee machine.
- despite your rather jittery state, you felt like you were on cloud nine - for a short moment.
- until you were brought back down.
- "I assume you're easily flustered too then?" The unnamed lady suddenly called you out, on the recognisable blush that you'd been trying to disguise - with mischievous expression in tow and tongue in her cheek. "Why's that?"
- "Uhh... I don't know." You stammered bashfully, as you froze on the spot like a dear in headlights - luckily you'd already put the lid on her coffee, otherwise it would've been over flowing by now.
- that was another one of your clumsy occurrences; that happened on the daily.
- "You don't know, really?" She prompted you further, with a sharp raise of her right eyebrow as she lifted her glasses up to rest atop of her head expertly.
- "I mean," You shot out at first, almost confidently - you didn't want to get ahead of yourself though; or come across weird.
- but, you did have a habit of saying things aloud that probably would've been better kept sealed behind your lips.
- "It's pretty girls like you mostly." You mumbled somewhat reluctantly underneath your breath, as you set the almond milk latte down on the tray before you.
- to find the blonde's fingers wrapping around the cup before yours had even left.
- the skin on skin connect was brief, but clearly intentional on her part.
- "Oh, is that right?" She giggled cutely, and you felt your heart flip in your chest - as your eyes locked into each other's once again.
- "Fuck, I maybe should've have said that out loud." You cursed harshly, as you cringed upon realising that she'd heard your statement perfectly - there was no denying now.
- "No, no." You watched her shake her head, passionately - as her ponytail flew from side to side with the movement. "Don't worry."
- "I'll take it as a very sweet compliment." She gleamed lovingly, her pupils keeping up continuous contact with yours - as she reached into her purse to give you some cash.
- "Okay." You replied simply, as you accepted the money from her fingertips - before ringing in her order, and opening up the cash register to give her the change.
- "I must say," She then continued, eager to carry on the conversation with you - even though it looked like she has somewhere to be.
- "You ain't so bad yourself..." She flattered you purposefully, as she leaned even further forward - squinting her eyes so that she could make out your name tag. "...Y/N."
- "Thank you." You replied quietly, as you felt your blush deepen even further - you'd never been the best at accepting compliments.
- "But I swear, I'm mostly just a clutz." You chuckled knowingly, as you saw the mesmerising lady pull a piece of paper from her bag - before her nimble fingers reached out for the ballpoint pen from your shirt pocket.
- "Well, I think clumsiness is cute." She retorted cockily, with a smirk fully spread across her cheeks- as she began to jot down a long number onto the lined paper.
- "My name's Hayley." She finally informed of the thing you'd been wanting to know for ages, you were just too nervous to ask.
- "You should call me sometime, yeah?" Hayley then proposed alluringly, leaving you completely stunned - you've never had a girl interact with you in such a way before, let alone leave you their number.
- "Yea-Yes! Sure okay, I'll do that." You simply couldn't control the overriding excitement in your voice, as your words flew out at maximum speed - which caused hayley to chuckle.
- "Sick." You saw her gleam with pride, as she slotted your pen back into your shirt pocket before deciding to take her leave.
- "I should definitely come back here more often." She added in with certainty, as she shot a subtle wink your way - before dropping the folded piece of paper into your open palm.
- "Guess I'll see you soon then?" You gave your best attempt at flirting back, however the blush on your cheeks never strayed.
- you were truly the one who was smitten.
- "Later, Y/N." She called out behind her happily, as you witnessed an utterly heartwarming smile spread across her painted cherry red lips.
- "Bye Hayley!" You yelled back with genuine enthusiasm, and an uncontrollable cheesy grin as you flung your arm out to wave her off.
- but of course, you weren't going to make it all the way without at least one coffee shop calamity today.
- instead of leaving hayley with a goodbye, that was composed and calm - you left her with a view of your very best work.
- which was clumsily knocking over the closest thing in sight.
- "Dude, seriously?!" Your co-worker Candace, grumbled as she emerged from the nearby staff room - with a dramatic eye roll.
- "I swear to God, the next thing you break you're paying for it!" She told you sternly, as she punched you at the shoulder roughly with her fist - although you heard her words loud and clear, you didn't give her a reaction.
- you were too busy chuckling away in unison with hayley, who had just witnessed the collection of freshly washed glasses go flying onto the ground.
- and smashing into a million tiny pieces; it was your worst accident yet.
- usually, this would be when you're spring into panic mode - you'd grab hold of the sweeping brush immediately and clean up the evidence.
- however this time, it was different.
- you knew you were an absolute clutz and you didn't care - you were proud of it in fact.
- cause hayley found it cute, your unpredictable nature made her laugh and that thought alone warmed your heart.
- she was soon out of sight, but not before she blew a tiny kiss over in your direction.
- to let you know she'd be back, sooner rather than later.
- "Who's that, Y/N?" Candace then butted in, upon realising that she'd found herself totally out of the loop and that she wasn't the centre of attention for once.
- "Your new girlfriend or something?" She mocked intentionally, with mischief in her manner as she cackled away to herself.
- "No, no way!" You scoffed in disbelief, as you saw her bronze complexion appear in your peripheral briefly - before she shoved a dust pan and brush into your hands.
- with a smug grin in tow.
- "Just a customer," You tried to play it cool, you didn't want to give it all away; candace was too nosy for her own good at times.
- "She's really fucking cool though, right?" You prompted her further, not wanting to underestimate hayley's impact to 'just another customer' - she was so much more.
- "Eh... I dunno." You saw the girl with the short ombré afro dreads shrug, as she leant back against the countertop - before beginning to inspect her latest manicure.
- "I'll never understand the appeal of corduroy pants." She stated almost snobbishly, but that was just candace - she wasn't afraid to speak her mind, regardless of what anyone else thought about it.
- "Well, I think she's awesome." You told her defiantly, once you'd finished cleaning up your mess - you set the brush aside, before bringing the folded piece of paper out from your pocket and back into your hands.
- with an unwavering smile on your lips.
- "Really fucking awesome."

   One week later.

- "You wanna take your break, Y/N?" Christopher queried kindly, his eyes catching yours from the opposite side of the cafe - where he was busy clearing tables.
- "Okay, sounds cool." You nodded in agreement, as you went over to the refrigerator to collect your lunch - but, while you were there you quickly noticed something.
- candace was neglecting customers at the counter, as she was too busy babbling away on the phone to her boyfriend, rohan.
- "You sure you don't need me, Boss?" You double-checked with chris, gesturing towards his beloved foster sister who was constantly in her own little world.
- "Nah you're good, Y/N. I've got it." He reassured you with a gentle pat to the shoulder, as he let you past before making his way behind the counter himself.
- "Besides," He said lowly, a small smirk of knowing making it's away across his cheeks as he pointed over to the circular table in the far corner of the cafe with his index finger. "I think there's someone who wants your attention."
- you followed the clear lead of chris's finger until, your eyes settled on hayley.
- who had seemingly made herself at home and become a consistent regular at santiago's over the past week.
- she'd practically been in everyday - to either sit in or take away; she would always show up.
- and even though you denied it profusely, both chris and candace knew that all she ever wanted was to speak to you.
- you just found it incredibly hard to believe that any girl as interesting as she was would even give you the time of day.
- but, her persistence was continuous and her determination courageous.
- so, you knew she wouldn't be giving up on your anytime soon and in all honestly - you didn't want her to either.
- "You want a refill, Hayles?" You joked confidently, as you approached the platinum blonde with the sparkling green eyes - who was coaxing you further towards her with a repetitive curl of her finger.
- "Yes, actually. A refill would be perfect." She humoured you; with a deliberate eye roll, before her expression became more serious as let out her real intentions.
- "Why are you avoiding me?" She shot out the question, with a smile tempting her features but you could tell that deep down she wanted a truthful answer.
- "No, I'm not." You lied blatantly, and hayley saw right through your bullshit - as she swatted your upper bicep with the back of her hand.
- "Ouch, that hurt." You whined dramatically, pouting your lips cutely as you brought your palm up to soothe the sting.
- "Yes, you are." She said sternly, her words reinforcing the message that she wasn't messing around, you had to come clean now.
- "Remember that piece of paper I gave you a last week?" She prompted your stunned state further, when you finally decided to take a seat next to her at the table.
- "The one that had my number on it?" She hinted even more, as her slim fingers began to prod at your ribs mischievously - which sent a flurry of laugher flying from your throat.
- "Hayley, no!" You begged desperately, as you attempted to pry her tickle intent fingers away from your torso. "Stop it, please!"
- "Then, tell me why you haven't used it yet?" You saw both of her eyebrows raise hastily, she wanted an explanation - stat!
- "Okay, okay! I'll tell you." You found yourself gasping for air, as you were soon released from the deadly hold she had on you.
- "Go on." She encouraged you softly, closing down her pc with urgency before she lent back in her seat to listen - giving you her full undivided attention.
- "I just," You chuckled nervously, as you avoided direct eye contact with the lady who send your mind spinning. "I didn't know what to say, okay?"
- "I wrote texts, but then deleted them because they were too corny." You began to unburden yourself before of her, even though the answer was ridiculous - it was the truth.
- "You could've just called instead?" Hayley then suggested with a cheeky smile, and a tiny scrunch of her nose.
- "I thought you liked pretty girls?" She repeated the words that you'd once used back to you, in a way that was both sarcastic - yet none threatening at the same time.
- hayley always displayed the perfect balance of humour and genuine kindness.
- you knew that her reasoning was pure, simply by the look in her eyes.
- "I do," You admitted wholeheartedly, in between a reluctant giggle - as you allowed the woman before you to intertwine your fingers together tightly. "especially you."
- "Yeah?" She beamed uncontrollably, her face completely lighting up as you felt her thumb run lovingly over your knuckles.
- "Mhmm." You hummed lowly, as the two of you laughed in union for a brief moment like a pair of giddy teenagers.
- "I'm just incredibly awkward though, sorry." You said bashfully, as you felt your cheeks heat up like they always did - however, this time you weren't embarrassed at all.
- "Well how about from now on, I'll be the one to make the first move?" She offered a solution to the problem that you faced, and you couldn't have been happier.
- "Yes, please." You agreed willingly, unable to suppress amount of love induced adrenaline that rushed through your veins.
- "Alright, then." Hayley grinned smugly, as she amped herself to to ask you the very thing she should've started with a week ago.
- "How about I take you out for dinner tonight, after your shift?" She offered to take you on an official date, which literally sent you flying - of course the answer could only be yes.
- but, you required some kind of physical confirmation from her first.
- "How do I know you're being serious?" You retorted back cheekily, with a certain kind of attitude that hayley found intriguing.
- "Not so shy anymore, huh?" She identified your new approach, with a wink of approval.
- it was clear she liked this side of you.
- "What would it take to convince you, Y/N?" She then questioned curiously, as she brought her thumb and index finger up to rub at her chin in thought.
- though, you both knew where this was going.
- you were just dancing around the subject, unsure of how to say that you really wanted to fucking kiss each other.
- "How about... Um..." You trailed off intensionally, wanting hayley to be one that made the initial realisation.
- "Oh!" You saw her gasp suddenly, pretending ever so professionally that she didn't know this was what you'd been wanting all along.
- "That's something I can do." She husked out, breathlessly against your damp lips before she connected them with hers in a longing kiss.
- "I've wanted to kiss you, since I first saw you." You mumbled quietly, as the pair of you parted ways - before you felt her palms cup the sides of your face, pulling you back in again.
- "Me too." You sensed her smile, and it caused a swarm of butterflies to swirl around madly in your stomach.
- "How's that for a promise?" Hayley asked you sweetly, her distinctive features coming back into view once again - as she swiped over your bottom lip with her thumb.
- "Very convincing." You confirmed strongly, nodding a couple of times as you saw the cafe begin to full up with customers.
- "You should probably get back to it." The blonde stated with a saddened sigh, she didn't want to you to go.
- "Unfortunately, yes." You acknowledged the reality that work was calling you back, as you shot a quick thumbs to chris who was ushering you over to help out.
- "You'll be waiting for me though, right?" You enthused brightly, to your respective love interest as that gorgeous smile of hers made a return to her luscious lips.
- "Let's just say, I'll be here all day." She gave you the confirmation you needed to hear, as she held onto your hand loosely - even when you tried to leave the table. "I've got a back log of company emails to get through."
- "So, that's a yes then?" You found yourself smirking subconsciously, you wanted to coax a solid answer from her and she gave you just that - after leaving you with one last kiss.
- that was until later, of course.
- "I'm not letting you leave without me."

——————
Suuup everyone!
Hope you're all doing good, staying safe & that you throughly enjoyed this update.
I found that it turned out real CUTE! and I'm really happy with the outcome.
😌🌻✨
Apologises for the slight delay on this tho, writer's block struck REAL BAD. 😳
But, I'm back writing again and having a lot of fun while doing it!

Please feel free, as always, to drop any further suggestions for this book in the comments!
I also take requests for song inspired imagines too, if that's something you're interested in.
🥰
Nevertheless, my friends - I'll be back in a few weeks, with a brand new chapter.

 ⭒🥰Nevertheless, my friends - I'll be back in a few weeks, with a brand new chapter

🌞 Until then y'all, all the love & hugs! 🌞
- M.
🌿😘🤍