Chapter 17

Ace P.O.V

My grip tightens on her waist as she says the words.

"Sofie, are you sure?" Antonio asks carefully. Sofie nods and grabs a piece of paper and a pencil.

"Yes, I am." She begins drawing a sketch of a man, who I presume is Carter.

"Sweets, didn't he die?" I ask, rubbing circles on her back. She lets out a sigh before nodding.

"There was a cop and a social worker that came to our house that day. They told us they died in a car crash. Drunk driving. We didn't go identify them, because apparently someone already did." It doesn't make sense, but I trust Sofie. Besides, who am I to doubt the one with a photographic memory?

"Have you told Emmalin yet?" Nick asks after a minute of silence.

"I told her you'll tell her." Sofie answers, still not taking her eyes off the picture. I begin playing with a strand of her hair.

"Done." She says after a while, holding up a piece of paper and trying to hop off my lap.

"Kitten, you seem to have forgotten about the bullet that was in your leg." I say, placing an arm behind her knees and lifting her up.

"Oops." She smiles sheepishly.

"Daniel! Oh Daniel!" She calls out in a sing-song voice.

"Yeah?" Dan walks up to us with a milkshake in his hand, which Sofie immediately snatched away and began sipping on. "Hey! That's mine!" He says, trying to take it back. Sofie simply snuggles into my chest to hide it from him. I definitely don't mind.

"Back to business." I cut in. "Dan, remember the guy Sofie was staring at before she got shot?"

"Yeah, why are you asking?" He's still scowling at Sofie with his milkshake.

"Is this him?" I ask, showing him the picture. Dan studies the picture for a bit before nodding.

"Yup. Why? He isn't the one who shot her." Not answering his question, I place Sofie on a recliner in the theatre room.

I head into the kitchen and grab her pills, while filling Daniel in. He may only be sixteen, but he's pretty up-to-date with our business. Walking back to the theatre room, I hold it out for her to have, which she does, even though she hates how they make her sleep.

"I need to go talk to the other two, okay?" I say softly. "Do you need anything else before I go?" I ask her. She thinks about it for a minute before answering.

"Nope, I'm good. I'm sure Daniel here can get me anything I might need." I chuckle and give her a quick peck on the lips.

"I love you kitten." I smile at how her cheeks go pink every time I say those words.

"I love you, too." I kiss her lips again before heading back upstairs.

Sofie P.O.V

"Wait, so they stopped faking the relationship and admitted what they should have a while ago, making his ex-girlfriend jealous, which was the reason they started the fake relationship in the first place?" Dan asks and I nod.

"Now, the ex-girlfriend trying to convince this chic that her now boyfriend slept in her room?" I nod again. "By showing her the scrunchie she stole from him that initially was this chic's?"

"Yup, and she told Peter it was her favourite scrunchie, so he shouldn't lose it." I add, eating another handful of popcorn. We're watching to all the boys I've loved before in the theatre room while eating a bunch of junk food. It's actually funny how interested Dan is in the movie.

"That was... Interesting." Dan says after the movie. I smirk and grab the remote. "Sofie, I really don't think I have it in me to watch anything else similar to that." I roll my eyes.

"Relax, we're watching the Fresh Prince Of Bel-Air." I scroll through Netflix until I find it.

"You know I've never watched this show before." He comments, making me nearly choke on my popcorn.

"I didn't watch TV until I was five, but I've still watched this show."

"Hey guys what are you doing?" Emmy and Brad join us and I lay my head on Emmy's lap.

"We're watching the fresh prince of Bel-Air." I say, handing her a packet of jelly tots.

After a couple of episodes, Brad speaks up.

"You know, Sofie is kind of like Carlton. Well, at least in the height department." I scowl at him.

"I'm 5'3 Thank you very much." I fire back. "And if I weren't in a cast right now, I'd probably kick your butt and then dunk your face in glitter-glue." Everyone laughs at me for some reason. I mean, it really wasn't funny.

"Why are you laughing you weirdos." I pout.

"Sof, how about you take a little nap? I think the pain killers are kicking in." I didn't want to listen to her, but I knew she was right when my eyes felt heavy. Too heavy to keep open.

"Okay. Night night everyone." I say, before drifting into darkness.

Ace P.O.V

After leaving Sofie with Dan, I was going to head upstairs, when a tug at my sleeve stopped me. I looked behind me and found nobody there, until I looked down.

"Uncle Ace?" Arabella asks.

"Yes honey?" I bend down so that I'm at her height.

"Are you aunty Sofie's prince?" I let out a small chuckle.

"Yeah, I am." I say, smiling down at the little girl who has chocolate smeared across her face.

"Okay, then can you guys please give us a girl cousin? I like playing princesses, and I need a girl cousin to do that." I choked on air.

"Um, you know how princes get married to princesses?" I ask her, continuing when she nods. "Well, I still need to do that first. Can we talk about cousins after that?" She nods her head up and down eagerly, making me chuckle. Arabella gives me a kiss on the cheek before running off.

I smile at her retreating figure, imagining having a little princess of my own. She would definitely be a daddy's girl, but she would have the beauty of her mother.

Snapping out of my thoughts, I head upstairs to do what I've been wanting to do for the last month.

Once I enter my office, I see Nick and Antonio each with a glass of whiskey. Nick takes a sip of his drink, which he promptly chokes on when I say the words I've been waiting so long to say.

"I'd like to marry Sofie."