Chapter Two

Chapter Two

            The lights flickered off, leaving the whole building pitch black.

            Jason uttered a small yelp.

            A voice hissed, “Shut up” it was Monica. She sat on the floor, her hands curled around the newly opened package. Her fingers traced around what seemed to be a medium sized plastic object. She found the flashlight’s switch and clicked it easily. The light spread across the floor in front of her. Monica counted two glow sticks, and a .22 pistol. She smirked; the weapon in front of her was perfect. This particular pistol was lightweight, and had an easy grip. It was almost made for her. The pistol would allow her to attack from farther away but still was only a short range weapon. Another draw back was the noise it would create, and it would be even more dangerous in the dark, where her only advantage was stealth. She fumbled with the barrel for a second before figuring out how to pull out the cartridge. She counted eight bullets and frowned to herself before pushing it back in with much difficulty.

            The question was: how many other players were here?

                        Following her lead, Jason quietly uncovered his weapon as well. A smooth rounded surface touched his fingertips. He lifted it up trying to feel its weight, bouncing it from hand to hand.

                        “They gave me a stick,” he muttered. His hands felt the smooth edges and started bending them. In a moment’s time the glow stick gave a satisfying crack, and Jason was encased in an unearthly green light.

                        He stared at the stick for a moment, “A glow stick huh?” With that, the glow stick was left unattended on the floor. He pulled a small box out of the pile of ripped up brown paper in front of him. The lid was lifted up slowly with care, and excitement bubbled up within him.

                        A black leather casing sat motionless in the box, breathing softy and bathing in the green light. The hard, polished leather with wheat colored stitches grasped the delicate hunting knife. Jason gasped; this was more than he could have asked for. He grinned, taking the knife out from the leather sheath and inspected its silver blade. The edges were thin and sharp, able to cut through flesh with no trouble at all. Of course, that was what this knife was made for, piercing the enemy’s heart.

                        The two sat in silence, clearly pleased with their weapons.

                        Then Monica spoke, “Hey kid…”

                        He interrupts, “Just call me Jason.” She stares at his face, illuminated in the eerie green light, and nods curtly.

                        Monica continues, “Well, umm… my name’s Monica, not that it matters now that the game has started. I’d hate to see you get killed. After all, there can be only one winner. So now… it has begun.”

                        There is a long empty silence before Jason speaks, “Wait… do you hear that? Are those footsteps?” An ever so subtle pattering of feet could be heard by Jason. Monica listened intently, closing her eyes but heard nothing.

                        She spoke softly, “I don’t hear anything.”

                        Ignoring her, he looped the knife, still in the leather sheath, around his belt and picked up the glow stick in front him. With a serious face, he grabbed Monica’s wrist and pulled her towards the door despite her reluctance.