Chapter nine: Lydia Arden

I sat on the floor, just watching him sleep. I had nothing better to do anyways. I wondered about his life. Where did he come from and who was he? Maybe he had a loving family at home and some siblings. Maybe he was intelligent and athletic in school. I couldn’t tell. I listened to the steady breathing, light and barely audible. How did he do that? This guy was a pro. It was too bad that I didn’t know his name. Everything that I’ve been doing has been made up on the spot, and I’m scared that I was going to be found out.

            From what I know, he thinks I’m a girl named Monica. I’m supposed to be that pretty girl I killed in the library, the one that wore his shoes. Were they lovers before entering this game? I almost felt bad for killing her. No. I couldn’t think about killing or death anymore. It was driving me insane. The tension in the air, fear in our eyes, and the constant bluffing tires me. Look at me now. I used to be a good girl, one that got straight As and took honors classes. I missed my mother and my father, and I wanted to cry again. You know that you’ve hit rock bottom when the only comfort you have comes from the very enemy that tried to kill you and teammate. Well Bennet and I aren’t exactly friends or teammates, but I think I can trust him. Somehow, I need Bennet to come up with a plan to get rid of the boy in this room. When Bennet and I are the only two people left, I can kill him. He would be too weak to fight back anyways.

            Why was I thinking like this though? I wasn’t supposed to be a killer. I can’t be put into the same category as Monica. Was this game really getting to me? Perhaps. I couldn’t contain these sick thoughts. All of this had to be a dream. It was just one big nightmare. I buried my head in my hands, trying to push the evil schemes away. I just couldn’t allow myself to participate in something so barbaric. A voice in my mind spoke jarringly, “But… You already have. Once you kill, you can’t turn back.Lydia, you are part of the game whether you like it or not.” I loathed that voice, but mostly because I couldn’t deny the truth it spoke.

            In order to distract myself, I observed the teenage boy a little while longer. His left arm hung limply off the ivory seat. I traced his body with my flashlight, trying to amuse myself. Then, it caught my eye. What were those marks along his arm? I shined the light on it, and drew myself closer. There was no hiding those jagged marks; they were scars, obviously self inflicted. I felt a jolt of guilt and pity run through my veins. I shouldn’t have thought so lowly of him before. I knew everyone had a reason to feel pain, and his scars certainly proved it.

            So what had he seen and been through that has been so painful? It must have been the same thing that caused those lovely dark eyes to turn cold. The dark lines crossed veins, zigzagging across his wrists and hands. Strangely enough, when I looked at his right arm, it was flawless. All the scars lay on his left arm. He was probably right handed by the looks of it. I tried to put my thoughts about the boy away. He didn’t need my pity or compassion; he was just another player to me.

            Besides, there were more important things that I needed to tend to. I had almost forgotten that I had left Bennet in the tech room upstairs. I whispered into the boy’s ear, “Hello… Are you still awake?” There was no response. I smirked; this would be my chance. Getting up as quietly as I could, I tip toed towards the locked door. “See you in a little while.” I mouthed to the unknown player sleeping on the loveseat. “See you soon” was right. I would be back with a plot soon, a plan that would leave him dead.

            As soon as I took a step outside, I was glad that the boy had found a room away from the mirrored mazes. I was barefoot, and I didn’t need anymore reason to lie.

            After many minutes of wandering around and passing many doorways, I finally saw the path I was looking for. Bennet’s blood still stained the floor, giving away everything. I pressed one hand on the wall, trying to find the door again. Even with a flashlight, things were hard to see. The doorknob turned, and I saw the staircase again. This time I ran up the stairs with ease, no longer carrying dead weight with me. I wondered if Bennet had awakened yet.