Chapter Three

Chapter Three

                        The hallway was still, silent, with the only sound coming from the shallow breathing of Lydia and Bennet. Their weapons were concealed within clothing, and all sources of light were hidden. The two of them stood motionless against the wall. Their bodies pressed against the smooth surface, waiting for the slightest sound. Lydia stared at Bennet’s barely visible outline. The pitch black had completely hidden his figure, but she knew that he was still there. She trained her ears to listen for his subtle breathing. His lukewarm breath brushed against her cheek ever so slightly, and she knew that he was aware of her presence as well. The two of them listened intently for signs of the other players on the move.

                        Finally Bennet gave the cue to start moving, “Let’s go.” He moved forwards just a step and revealed his glow stick; letting it illuminate a foot or two in front of him. The two of them leaned forward cautiously and looked in both directions, waiting for the other players to pounce. Seeing no danger Bennet whispered, “Coast clear.”

                        Almost apprehensively Lydia asked, “So are we working together? Can I trust you… or rather can you trust me?” There was a long uncomfortable pause while Bennet tried to think of the right words to say.

                        He tried to be gentle, “Look Lydia. I don’t know how to say this…This isn’t a regular game like monopoly or scrabble. The last one standing wins, and…the losers will have to die. We can’t both win! So can you trust me? That’s up to you. All I can say is that it’s probably safer to work together… for now.  So I guess I have to trust you.” His words echoed through Lydia’s head, the meaning of the game sinking in for the first time.

                        They were all going to die, leaving just one lucky player to live. It wasn’t a time to be shy and weak. If there was a time to prove that you were worthy of life, it was now. The question was not “to fight” or “not to fight”. They were to decide whether they were worthy of life above all others here, and who was to die.

                        She wanted to whimper and hide like a young puppy, but she knew better than that. There was no room for the weak. If she was to win, she had to outsmart everyone here and learn to kill. She wasn’t going to let someone take life from her that easily. By the end, she will have had to find a way to defeat Bennet. Eight lives and only one winner. That will be the outcome.

                        She gritted her teeth with determination. If she wanted to win, she’ll have to create a new mind set. Bennet and Lydia’s cautious faces were illuminated in the eerie green light. The two of them treaded softly on the thin carpet, trying to travel silently. They walked aimlessly for a while in silence. She stopped trying to remember the twists and turns after a while, realizing that there wasn’t any reason to return to the concrete room. Lydia had begun to think of it as a safe house, but she realized that nowhere was safe. Then the two of them came to a stop, as if finding something out of place.

                        Bennet asked, “Lydia…? How come we don’t sense the other players here?”

                        Lydia’s eyes almost sparkled deviously in the dim light, “Bennet, it’s because they don’t want to be found. Do you know what that means? It means that we are obviously being followed.” The two of them locked eyes briefly, confirming her thoughts. Without another moment to spare the two of them sprinted towards the nearest door, not waiting to see if the other was still with them. Neither of them checked to see if the door was closed behind them. Adrenaline pumped through their bodies, turning on the “fight or flee” instinct. The glow stick provided only enough light to see barely two feet in front of them, and the two of them stumbled through the dark. Their sweaty hands grasped the unusually smooth, slippery walls. And slowly through the dark, a predator lurked.