I shrugged, uncomfortable. "I honestly do not know. And this uncertainty has been the bane of my existence ever since I was summoned here."

He quirked an assessing eyebrow. "Summons don't happen very often. Whatever Hades wants you for – it must be pretty important."

I wrapped my arms around myself, feeling naked under his gaze, which snaked its way through my insides and made me feel as though he was staring into my innermost thoughts.

I shook my head. "I know as much as you do."

Something told me he thought I was lying, but he let it slide.

"It's getting dark," Alek interrupted my thoughts. "I need to set up camp."

"Can I help with anything?" I offered, standing there feeling utterly useless.

He raised an eyebrow. "You know how to help set up a campsite?" he asked in disbelief, his judgment ringing clear. His eyes surveyed me, starting from my head and then running down my camisole, ripped pants and flimsy pair of flats.

I frowned and crossed my arms. "I went camping with my dad twice a year growing up, and I just survived a week of constant physical exertion, I think I can handle sorting through one of these bags," I said, gesturing to all of the equipment littering the floor. "How did you have all of this stuff on you, anyway?"

He unzipped one of the bags and a combination of fabric and steel fell out.

"I move around a lot," he answered simply.

Clearly.

I scoffed and crouched down so that we could look at each other at eye level. "Why are you so cryptic all the time?"

He cocked his head, assessing me. "Perhaps you should stop asking me why I'm such a mystery when half of the Underworld is looking for you."

My heart pounded, beating roughly against my rib cage.

He stopped what he was doing, sighed, and looked me straight in the eyes.

"I'm a professional demon slayer, in my free time I enjoy long walks on the beach, and I think clothes are overrated," he said with a quirked smile.

I narrowed my eyes. "I'm being serious."

"So am I! Think about it: If Adam and Eve didn't need to wear clothes, why should we?"

I scowled, waiting for him to provide a serious answer. He stood up and moved over to Calista, silently undoing the saddle and sliding it from her with ease. I waited patiently as he placed it on the ground and started to brush her down. Minutes of tenes silence passed.

"You're avoiding the question," I deadpanned.

He took one look at my determined expression and sighed. "What do you want to know?" he asked.

"I don't know, maybe how long have you been in Hell for? A little bit about your family? Perhaps why you travel alone?"

"I've lived in the Underworld my whole life," he said, his voice deep as he focused on brushing the red-eyed horse. "I was born in Pride City, lived there for seventeen years before I decided to set off on my own–"

He hesitated for a moment and glanced at me, unsure about how much he should say. I figured this amount of information was progress enough, so was surprised when he continued.

"–I didn't exactly have a fantastic relationship with my – parents." He looked pained to even call them that. The word fell from his lips like an oddity.