XIX

Chapter 19: Stranger Danger.

“ I'm afraid that if I open myself I will not stop pouring. ( why do I fear becoming a river?  What mountain gave me such shame?)
                       - Jamie Oliveira.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Vladimir's POV

I am the King of the werewolves. From the moment I was born I was told to never be scared and to never kneel.

But from the time that she came, she had me scared to death and on my knees more times than I would like to.

The first time, when the rouges attacked her. I was close to literal death and was on my knees.

The second time when she collapsed due to vervain and iron intake, on the roof in front of me. I was scared and on my knees in front of her. That was the first time I found out that someone was trying to kill her. I searched the whole kingdom for a trace of vervain and liquid iron. I don't know how they got iron into a clear concoction. But I didn't find a trace of any of either substance.

The third time is now. When she snapped her neck with my bare hands. I am on my knees before our bed, waiting for her to wake up.

I found traces of vervain in the flowers she was wearing. Someone is doing this on purpose. They made her weak and made her lose control while hiding the scent of vervain in the flowers.

How scared her expression was when she accidentally drank from me. My heart broke. She doesn't deserve all this. I am alright with being her blood bag as long as she stays with me. Becomes my wife and my queen.

But what she did today was a rash decision. I can't watch any of that in the future. When she snapped her neck and went limp in my arms, I wanted to snap my neck too. Because my bond with her twisted painfully and the searing pain that I went through, I can't even describe.

We could've handled that bloodlust. But she was scared and at the moment she scarred me deeply. She hurt me.

I place my hand on her heart. I still can't get used to the fact that her heart isn't beating.

It'll beat when she wakes up. I know. I also know that she takes a toll on her body.

Her body has two beasts trapped. One is the prey, other is the predator.

I don't know how it's possible. I did my research but there is nothing like her ever before. I have never even seen a vampire and fey being mates. Nor is there any record of that.

She is a miracle of nature.

I have never fully seen her fey. I would like to but never am I going to pressure her.

For now, I have to find whoever is threatening my love.
What they don't know is that I'll fight for her until my last breath. Coming inside a wolf's den, a wolf who has a mate to protect is their biggest mistake.
I'll tear them apart limb by limb and then gift their remains to their leader.

Touch her and I'll touch them too.

I growl.

“ Why are you angry?” I scramble off my feet when I hear her voice. Her eyes were still closed. For a moment I thought that I heard her voice but the sound of her beating heart told me I wasn't mistaken.

Her red orbs snap open before the color dissolves into her crystal eyes that I have come to love.

She sits up and looks at me. And then she grimaces.

“ Probably shouldn't have done that. Now my neck hurts.” 

“ How long did it take for me to wake up?”