Chapter 35

After dad and his family left, mum went to her room and stayed there for the rest of the day. She was resuming work from her maternity leave the following Monday  and I had school to prepare for. Mum had suggested changing my school but I refused the suggestion. I didn't want to leave Dayfort just like that and learn the system of another school from the scratch all over. I promised her that I would avoid Joseph which wasn't really a big deal since we didn't even get along.

On Monday, I couldn't help notice how downcast Joseph was and I was sure I never wanted to be in his shoes. Our SS2 maths teacher, Mr Alfred was teaching but my mind was far away as I thought about my family and myself. I was surprised  at myself that after all this I still wasn't used to the new situation of my family and I felt like mum knew about how difficult the change was for me because I noticed she was treading on eggshells whenever she was around me.

Our relationship was strained because of this and honestly, I missed my mum. My head knew her decision to divorce dad was the best for all of us but my heart disagreed because I found myself having second thoughts wondering if dad's apology was sincere and if mum couldn't give him a second chance. Somehow, I felt angry because for the two years that their marriage was good, I had grown to love dad, to acknowledge him as my father. I prayed always that he would change towards mum and I and now that he did, it felt like mum was denying me a chance to a happy family.

I scolded myself for being ungrateful for mum's sacrifice but no matter how hard I tried to, I just couldn't bury these thoughts.

I didn't know that Mr Alfred had left the class until Felicia pinched me and I winced in response

"What are you thinking about? " she asked me, her head tilted and a quizzical expression on her face.

"Nothing " I replied waving my hand dismissively but she didn't buy it.

"Liar"

I rolled my eyes at her persistence knowing my friend wouldn't let this die. I was lucky that Jemima wasn't in school and Bimpe was quite busy with a literature project if not I'd have two extra people to answer to.

Felicia pinched me again snapping me out of my thoughts and when I frowned at her, she smiled mischievously

"We both know you're not angry and I will continue pinching you until you talk "

I sighed knowing her statement was a fact. Felicia was just very troublesome. While I was glad she was healing after the loss of her mum, I was presently wishing she could just sit still

She pinched me again

Won't this girl ever give up?

"Nope " she replied and I realised I said that out loud

"Why am I your friend if you can't talk to me?" She queried

"Well, you're not my friend to pinch the life out of me" I responded and she twitched her nose giving me the popular 'yimu '

"Better tell me the problem or else this your oyibo skin will turn to dudu so spill "

I sighed and told her everything from dad's visit to my present feelings and she held me tight and spoke softly

"I think you should tell your mum how you feel. She might understand "

"What if she doesn't? " I asked unable to hide my worry

"What if she does?"

I shrugged in reply knowing that I didn't want mum to see me as an  ingrate or to feel like her decisions were wrong. I wouldn't forgive myself if mum stumbled emotionally