Chapter 18

The fear that engulfed me on seeing my position was terrible and sobs racked my body as I shook violently. I knew I couldn't go back to the class like this and I didn't want anyone to see me so I went back to the old music room and stayed there. I let the tears come out freely and fear was my partner. I stayed there until school closed for the day and went to the class to get my bag.

Luckily, I met only my friends still in the class, worry etched on their faces. Bimpe ran to me first "Where were you? "
I shook my head, saying nothing to anyone.  I couldn't explain even to my best friend that my fate was in the hands of a man who hated me.
How on earth was I going to show him the report card with second position written on it ?

My friends seemed to understand my desire to be silent because they didn't push the topic further and I was thankful for that because I didn't want to say anything just yet because I didn't want to believe what the report card said.

We went home in silence and as I reached home. I couldn't shake off the fear and tension when I saw dad's car.

I turned to Mr Tanko who still stood there after locking the gate

"Mr Tanko please is my dad back? " I asked him with a shaky voice

"Yes, e never too teh wen im come "
(It's not long he came )

"Okay, are my grandmothers at home? " I asked

"Nobody dey house o, na only your papa "
(Nobody is home, just your dad )

God why?

I gulped and nodded ignoring Mr Tanko's questions. When I entered the house, I saw dad watching the afternoon news and I greeted him.

He stared at me for a while before speaking
"Where is your report card?"
I knew the answer to that question was not 'Inside my bag ' but the report card instead so I opened my bag and with zero self confidence , I handed it to him.

He opened it , read it and fixed his gaze on me a frown hardening his features yet no word from his mouth for over a minute.

I felt the tears threatening to spill but I held them back.  Crying would only make things worse.

"Go and change, we're going out "

I knew better than to show the surprise I was feeling so I ran to do his bidding. I wasn't at all happy because I knew it could be a punishment.

"Don't bring anything with you " dad called out to me from downstairs and my fear increased. I was just getting downstairs when grandma Okoli walked in . Dad and I greeted her and she smiled at us

"Jasmine, this one you're dressed. Are you people going out? "

Before I could answer, dad spoke "Yes we are but we'll soon be back."
Without giving grandma and chance to speak, he turned to me "Let's go "

He went out and I followed him.

Despite the AC in his car being on, I couldn't help but feel heat. We had left the house thirty minutes ago and he had said nothing to me. This was probably part of the punishment.  Keeping me in fear and suspense. For all I know, he could be planning to finally kill me. Maybe this recent misdeed of mine would be the straw that broke the camel's back.

We later got to another house. A bungalow with a high fence. There was nobody here not even a gate man but the area wasn't deserted.

After parking the car, dad instructed me to follow him and I followed him into the house. We entered a living room immediately which was not as big as our house but was a little identical to it. The place didn't look unoccupied.  In fact , it smelled of izaal and dettol like it had just  been cleaned.