Chapter 2

By the time Joseph and I were done carrying Mrs  Ibeh's things to the classroom , break time was already over and since we were done cleaning,  my friends and I were gisting in my class and Aramide walked in.

"My people" she said as she approached us. I rolled my eyes. The action was fast becoming a habit and it worried me. "Ara, how far na? " Jemima asked her

"I'm fine o, only that you people did not keep seat for me."

Our seats were single desks and chairs assigned to each student and since Jemima and I came early,  we arranged our seats at a point in the class with me close to the wall,Jemima beside me and Felicia in front of me and we didn't see the need to keep a seat for Aramide.

Joseph entered the class with his friends Ebuka and David since they were coming from God knows where "Hey peeps, wassup " Joseph greeted the class and everyone responded to his foolish salutations except Felicia and I. 

Bimpe nudged me after noticing my hesitation "Jasmine, don't be a hater na " I nodded sarcastically "Aunty Lover abeg free me "
"Abi o, Jasmine, Joseph is a nice guy" Aramide chirped in.
"Did I ask you? " I snapped at her.
"Pele o"

Uyai, the Calabar beauty queen of the class cleared her throat "Guys, you know the transfer students are resuming tomorrow "

Responses of "Yes" and "Before nko" filled the class but Moses said "No o, they're resuming on your wedding day."

We all burst into laughter and Zainab one of Uyai's  friends answered him. "Typewriter mouth, you won't shut up abi? "

Moses scoffed "Why should I?"

"Abeg, guys let Uyai talk nau" David said while laughing

"David thank you o" Uyai said smiling at him "As I was saying , transfer students are resuming tomorrow because of the school policy, you guys know na "

Our school had a rule that allowed transfer students resume school on the second day of resumption so that the old students would get the school ready for them.

As if they didn't write exam in the school.

The new boarders were exempted because they had to check into the hostel during the weekend, but they stayed in the hostel on the first day.

"So what about that?" a student named Kemi asked.

"Well, my cousin is one of them and she's really nice and smart."

"That means she's your opposite" Moses remarked and everyone started laughing again.

I had actually missed this during the holiday  because as the only child there wasn't really anyone to laugh with except mum.
"Moses, chill na" Felicia said

"What's happening here?" the principal's voice echoed and we all adjusted and sat properly even Bimpe that was not a member of our class found an empty seat to occuy.

  "I said what's happening here?" Mr Obi asked again. Nobody said a word because no one wanted Mr Obi's cane to welcome us into Senior Secondary School

"You're busy making noise , you think SS1 is for play. If you don't know, your WAEC is already knocking. Better start reading your books "

I could not resist the urge to roll my eyes.

  WAEC ke? When we don't even know our first topic for SS1. Hyperbolic man!

"I must not hear noise from this class again" he said waving his cane at us before leaving. 

As if on cue, Mrs Ibeh entered the class and Bimpe rushed out as we stood to greet our teacher. "Sit down" she said after responding to our greeting then she began talking again.
"Since this is a new term, we need to choose prefects for the class and the posts available are class captain and assistant, and labour prefect and assistant. Since all of you were in junior school together, nominate your class captain"