Chapter 9 - Heartbroken

Its still intense so put on your seatbelts...

Chapter 9 - Heartbroken

The trees blurred past as I wailed his name over and over.

'Aargghh!' I screamed as the headache that ricocheted through my skull threatened to split my head in half. 'AARGGHH!'

The humans couldn't see me but they'd definitely be able to hear me as I went past which would give them more than a fright. Just as I thought this I flew past a drunken man who staggered back against the wall, his hand on his heart as I rushed past.

I was nowhere.

Or to be more precise, I had no idea where I was. Not that I let that stop me from running to wherever I was going.

All too soon I'd reached a forest area unfamiliar to me, and I raced through it completely ignoring the way the twigs tore through my skin and scratched at my hair and clothes. I hated him! I hated the way he'd made me feel; the way he'd made an individual as powerful as I feel so... helpless.

I was beginning to run out of steam but I knew if I stopped that then I'd be forced to think about what I'd just seen and I didn't want that. Just as I reached the end of what looked like a hill ledge I dived blindly from it, falling right into an icy cold lake at the bottom which chilled my bones.

Yes, we vampires are hardier than humans but even being in the midst of the chilling temperatures of ice cold lake water during the early hours of the morning was enough to freeze me. As the merciless grip of the lake attached itself to my clothes and pulled me under I did nothing but give a pleasured sigh.

I wasn't a good swimmer, but even if I was it'd probably be too cold and I'd be too shocked to get out of here. Not that I was planning on doing that. Not at all.

The last thing I thought about as the water dragged me under was seeing Carlos's naked body splayed over Eva's, and I gave a tiny sigh of displeasure followed by happiness right as I imagined seeing Carlos jump from the peak's edge in order to save me.

'Fuck! She's not breathing.' I watched from a bird's eye view as a shirtless Carlos began pressing his hands over the centre of my chest. At least I think it was my chest.

An exhausted looking Lily came running out of the tree line with a haggard Roland in tow. 'What did you say?' She screeched as Roland grabbed her and struggled to calm her down. He stroked her hair softly and whispered into her ear.

I was alive, wasn't I? I could see them from here. Opening my mouth, I tried to call out Roland's name but no sound came. Was I really dead?

Carlos continued pumping on my chest and breathing into my mouth until the world started to wobble and my vision began to blur. What was happening?

'Please...' Lily was begging him. 'Please bring her back - it's my fault she's here. Please!'

My vision darkened.

'Please,' my cousin whimpered. This time my eyes shot open and I sat up, coughing water out of my lungs. 'Oh thank God!' She screamed as she embraced me into her crushing arms. I let her hold me like that for a while before pushing her away and standing shakily to my feet.

Numbly, I looked at the pale faces that surrounded me. I was a princess, damnit; I was not going to be weak. Agonisingly slowly, I stared into the handsome face of Carlos before saying, 'Thank you for saving me,' and got up and ran off, this time towards the direction of my home.