Chapter 33 - The Birth

:(

Chapter 33 - The Birth

Lights swirled around me as I awoke in a fast-moving hospital bed.

It instantly felt like déjà vu.

'Indigo, stay with me!' This time it wasn't my mother who was urging me to stay awake and holding my hand, but an unfamiliar nurse who was looking down at me imploringly. Why was she looking at me like that?

My eyes felt heavy and droopy.

'Her blood sugar level's dropping...' One of the doctors uttered urgently.

At that point my eyes fluttered to a close, all noise fading into the background.

'Indigo!'

When Adrian screamed my name they snapped back open. I tried to sit up but found I couldn't, instead I resorted to looking around me which I found an impossible task with the walls whizzing by so quickly.

'Adrian?' My voice was sleep laden; heavy.

Sleep.

That was all I wanted to do right now.

For some reason I found myself resisting the urge.

My haze was torn from me when a sharp stabbing pain came from my stomach. It was so intense that my eyes were bulging in their sockets.

The scream that erupted from me wasn't my own and reminded me of  a beaten; savage animal.

'INDIGO!' Adrian rushed towards me and tried grabbing my hand which fell limply to the side. I couldn't do anything about it -- not even move it back up.

'What's happening to her?' He asked the doctors who were dragging my bed into a closed-off room. I didn't like the way the blinds were tightly shut.

It seemed like a bad omen.

'Sir, I'm going to have to ask you to leave...' One of them replied.

When Adrian hissed they didn't back down to which I gave them credit.

'No.' He ground out. 'I'm staying.'

Just then, a nurse tugged on his sleeve none too gently. 'I'm sorry sir, but you need to leave.'

While he and the nurse were busy struggling, I was panting as a series of sharp cramping pains caused something within me to contract. The pain was excruciating, unbearable even.

It was like nothing I had ever experienced before.

The baby!

Moans came from my mouth as my body screamed at me to 'push' and I did. One of the doctors saw what I was doing and urged me to hold on for a little while longer. Apparently it wasn't time to push yet.

Another, older nurse squeezed my hand. 'Stay awake, dear.' She told me sternly as her cold skin met mine. I didn't know what she meant by that until I felt myself drift away.

It was unstoppable. I couldn't fight it.

The heart monitor stopped beeping.

***

It was cold, but bright. Very bright.

I didn't know where I was.

Everywhere I looked white light surrounded me. It seemed to be coming from nowhere in particular.

Just as I was contemplating screaming for help, an image of a small child - a girl - with long, dark hair, appeared in front of me. She looked to be around six and when she smiled there was a gap where a tooth should be.