CHAPTER 20 - SERPENT'S PIT

One hour ago...

17.00 hours

November 10th, 2017

Mountain hideout, Iraq

Natasha V. Belova – Spetsnaz GRU

"That's a lot of enemy activity, Sergey."

"Looks like an old mine. You sure this is the right place, Natasha?"

Lying prone on the hill, hidden behind the sparse bushes, I took another look through my binoculars. A cave entrance was situated on the rocky hillside right underneath our feet. Just outside it was an outpost consisting of a few outbuildings, a shed beside the road, a 2-story bunkhouse on the nearby higher plateau on our two with a DShK heavy machine gun mounted outside, and a small house on a plateau on our ten with an 81 mm mortar sitting nearby. A T-55 was parked on the road along with a technical beside it on our eleven. Another technical was near the shed, overlooking the road. There was also a ZSU-23-4 Shilka anti-air gun on another nearby hill accompanied by a few guys, but at this point they're too far from us to be of threat.

"It has to be. The intel we've got, including those on The Unnamed, leads here. I mean, hell, look at all this place," I replied.

"Very remote, no signs of life within two miles, and pretty well guarded. This has to be it. If not, still definitely an HVI of the bad guys."

"I like the way you think..." I said as we fist-bumped, "And, Sergey?"

"Da?"

"Don't get yourself shot this time."

I scanned again on the outpost. Two alarm boxes stood, with loudspeakers on top of them and a circuit box down below, and a cable connecting the two. One near the mortar, the other outside the bunkhouse. One sniper stood just outside the small house. Three guys were near the bunkhouse, one of them had an RPG-7 in his hands. Two guys were standing outside the shed near the technical. Five guys were sitting around a campfire near the tank, and two more just outside the cave entrance. Likely more indoors.

I switched to my SVU and aimed towards the alarm circuit box near the small house.

"We'll do this clean. Sergey, you take the sniper."

"Khorosho..."

"On me."

I jerked my finger, and silently let loose a single bullet. It pierced through the plastic covering and busted the circuitry, sending sparks flying out in the process. The same thing just happened to the sniper just beside it as a 12.7 mm round from Sergey's KSVK sniper rifle pierced through his brain.

I then shifted my sights to the other alarm box. I was about to snipe it when I realized one of the three guys near the bunkhouse had it in sight. The other two didn't, but they'll hear the thud we take him out.