CHAPTER 19 - FOR THE EMPEROR

11.00 hours

November 9th, 2017

US Firebase, Iraq

Sgt. Joseph Mueller – US Army Rangers

A few weeks has passed since they've flown Carl stateside. Lucky bastard. And how's the base when I'm in charge? Nothing to worry about since nothing has blown up yet. I've ordered the defenses as promised and to this day no hostile has dared to even drive within 1000 meters from us. Either that's because of what I do, or because the Iraqis have been doing a fine job at retaking control of the area.

But... I think for now we're gathered here for something else.

It was the big day for us Americans. The day we get to see... who shall lead our glorious nation and its free people for the next four years. The seven of us followed the election as we watched the live stream from Fox News on my laptop in my room. 254 versus 218 electoral votes, as it says in the displayed scorecard. Oh wait...

"We've updated our electoral scorecard."

"What is going..."

The scorecard display was updated, now it's 274 versus 218 votes

"We are going to make this decision now... the Fox News decision desk... has called Pennsylvania for Donald Trump... this means that Donald Trump will be the 45th President of the United States..."

"YEEEAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!"

"USA! USA!! USA!!!"

We all cheered as the news anchors called in the moment. All seven of us. And of course, there were cheers and patriotic chants just as loud heard from the rooms around mine. Especially the USA chant, no doubt about it. This was a moment of celebration for all red-blooded patriotic Americans.

My squadmates were cheering as well. A few of them brought their red MAGA hats and had been putting them on all day, confident of the Republican victory. And indeed, history records the rest. Trump is President. America, hell yeah.

"Congratulations, Joe. Your guy has won," CT said to me.

"Hahaha he's our guy, C."

"Psst, I..." she moved in to whisper, "I'm more of a Rand Paul fan."

"Ah cool.  Then he could use your vote in 2020. Welcome to democracy, minus the establishment dinosaurs now kinda off the seat. But until then..."

"I know."

She took my MAGA hat off and put it on herself. And damn, wasn't she quite a sight in that. Blonde hair, blue eyes, red MAGA hat. She just chuckled upon realizing I'm staring at her, as we continued watching the live stream. She tapped my pocket to signal me to give my phone to her. I did. She went over to the playlist and started to play the "America Fuck Yeah" song. Only to then awkwardly reduce the volume so it's no louder than the live stream.