"Where are the doctors around here? Is no one working?" Owen, Jon's dad exclaimed, looking out into the hallway.

"His nurse just gave him pain meds and the doctor has already been in, which you'd know if you'd been here," I told him, feeling Jon squeeze my hand, in a silent attempt to tell me to let it go.

He instantly turned to face my mom. "Look, Avril, I don't know what kind of child you and Harry raised, but I'd think you'd teach her some manners."

My mom stood straighter, if that was possible, looking up and meeting his eyes, that forever reflected the constant neutral expression on his face.

"We raised an amazing independent young woman. That's who we raised. Besides, she's not wrong. Where have you two been? Your son has been in the hospital for more than two hours and you're only now getting here? What was more important than your son?" She paused, tapping her chin. "Hmm. Let me guess. Work."

Jon's parents were both notoriously successful business people in the town.

They invested in many of the stores around town. Few, including my mom's bakery, are the only ones who refused to have any involvement with the couple.

Jon's mother, Milena, stood tall and imposing, her perfectly curled hair framing her sharp features. She shot me a disdainful look before turning her attention to my mom, Avril.

"Where were you when this happened?" she demanded, her voice laced with accusation.

My mom remained calm, her expression unreadable as she replied, "We were here for Jon when he needed us. Where were you?"

Milena bristled at the implication that they had prioritized work over their son's well-being. Owen, Jon's father, stepped forward defensively.

"We have important responsibilities," he stated firmly.

But my mom wasn't having any of it. "Responsibilities? What about your responsibility as parents to be there for your child when he needs you the most?"

I could feel the tension in the room escalating with each passing moment. I squeezed Jon's hand reassuringly, silently promising him that I would always be there for him no matter what. As tensions rose between our families, I felt myself getting angrier by the second. How dare they come in here acting like they were concerned when they hadn't even bothered to show up until now? But before I could say anything more, Jon squeezed my hand gently as if telling me to let it go.

The argument between our parents escalated quickly as accusations flew back and forth like arrows in battle. My mom stood her ground against them while I tried to calm myself down next to Jon.

Glancing over at us, Mr. Reeves suggested they talk in the hallway, something my mother readily agreed to.

As Jon's parents left the room to have their heated discussion with my mom, I turned back to him, squeezing his hand gently.

"Are you okay?" I asked softly, trying not to disturb the quiet calm that had settled over us.

Jon nodded slightly, wincing as he shifted on the hospital bed. His face was bruised and bandaged, a stark reminder of the attack that had taken place.

"I'm sorry," I whispered, feeling guilty for what had happened under my roof.

"It's not your fault, Harley," Jon replied hoarsely. "You didn't see anything."

I shook my head, tears pricking at the corners of my eyes. "But I should have. I should have been able to protect you."

Jon reached out and brushed away a stray tear from my cheek. "You did everything you could. You were there for me when it mattered most."