t w o

[ tattoo ]
0:58 ──♡───────── 3:47
↻ ◁ || ▷ ↺

Jeongguk met Yoongi through his best friend, Jimin, and got offered a summer job at his tattoo parlor after seeing the boy's sketches.

Jeongguk mostly spent his shifts at the back of the shop, making designs to fit customers' descriptions. It was kind of an odd feeling, knowing that whatever you leave on that paper will end up on someone's skin, inscribed for the rest of their lives. But it was also very interesting, hearing about the stories behind every tattoo. A symbol of hope maybe, or something to remember a loved one.

Today he was filling the blank space with carolina-allspices, earphones in and coffee on the table— which he almost mistakes for his pencil cup.

"What do you want for lunch today, bun?" Yoongi asked from above him.

Jeongguk pulled out an earbud and let it dangle onto his chest. "Are you getting lamb skewers?"

The older shrugged, smoothing out his apron. "If you want."

Yoongi ruffled his hair fondly and joined him at his desk, keeping the shop door closed so the usual ding could notify him of a customer.

"You should seriously start your own illustration business." The older noted.

Jeongguk shrugged, pencil falling from his grasp as he rested his chin in his palm. "Maybe after I get my college classes over with." He said, "But I'm happy staying here with you for the rest of my life honestly."

Yoongi smiled softly at the prospect. The bell hung over the door chimed, and the older left to welcome the newcomer. Jeongguk removed his earphones completely, paying more attention to his surroundings now that Yoongi was occupied. He peered over at their appointment notebook. This morning seemed pretty empty, but he had to be ready, just in case.

Jeongguk leaned down to inspect the autoclave disinfecting the tattoo guns and needles, humming peacefully to himself. Then he felt a tap on his shoulder.

"We got another one." Yoongi informed him, "He's new. You should show him your designs." He left with an encouraging pat on the back.

Jeongguk scrambled to pick up his sketchbook, peering up at the customer with a ready smile. "Hi there—"

Then he stilled.

They say time was a thief. Well then if it was, it must be working it's magic because suddenly the past had collided with the present, and Jeongguk was convinced he was in some kind of lucid dream.

Because those elongated, dark eyes can't be his. Those orbs of creamy, brown, shielded with prominent lashes, hiding behind those thin-framed glasses rested on the gentle slope of his nose. Those eyes he used to spend evenings drowning in. They can't be his.

The male's jaw dropped slightly as well, his gaze unwavering.

"Jeongguk?"

And there was his voice. Deep and velvety. The voice that used to put him to sleep, but ended up keeping him up at night.

Something in Jeongguk's brain jerked in panic and he composed himself in two seconds flat. "Who?" He found himself saying.

Taehyung gawked at him for another eternity, scanning the features on the younger's face. There's a debate going on in his head and he grimaced, choosing his next words carefully. "Sorry..." He muttered, "You look a lot like... someone I used to know."

And Jeongguk knew. He wasn't being delusional.

"Don't worry about it." Jeongguk chirped, hoping the cheery persona he plastered on his face didn't give anything away. "It, uh, happens all the time."

The embers in his heart were flaring and ready to ignite, burning him in the process.

Because fuck.

For a whole year, Jeongguk had prayed that he would walk through the door. And for another six months, he had learnt to let it go.

Now here he was in all his glory— dressed in a crisp silk button up shirt and silver earrings dangling. His face features had become more sharp, his natural dark hair color had grown out as a mullet. And suddenly Jeongguk is incapable of thinking, let alone speaking.

"So," Jeongguk swallowed, throat dry, "how can I help you?"

Taehyung blinked at him, then slowly turned to face the wall filled with illustrations and designs as if nothing happened. "I've never gotten a tattoo before."

"Do you have anything specific in mind?" Jeongguk asked, gathering up the things on his desk to seem make himself busy.

"Have you ever..." Taehyung faced him again, gazing at him intently, and Jeongguk just wanted to fling himself out the door and in front of a moving bus. "... heard of tiger flowers?"

Jeongguk nearly choked.

In case y'all don't know, carolina-allspices are tae's birth flower and tiger flowers are kook's birth flower :)

Please vote before continuing on to the next chapter >>>>