I'm Gonna Love You Through It

The door slammed. Startled, Abbey shot up from the couch. She saw a black shirt flash into view and a smile lit up her face.

"Hey babe! How was..." Her voice trailed off when she saw his expression. His eyebrows were scrunched in anger and his teeth were grinding between his lips. His eyes appeared to be on fire with rage.

"I'll go get the coffee," she whispered. As she passed Hunter, she tried to gently take his guitar from under his tight grasp. He yanked it away from her and stepped around her.

She stood shocked in the hall, watching Hunter grumble his way into the home studio. The pictures on the wall clattered and shook when he slammed the door closed.

Annoyed, Abbey gritted her teeth and shouted, "Stop slamming the doors!"

The sight of his face made her instantly regret saying anything. He stomped over to her -making sure to slam the door behind him- and hovered over her face.

She sank back against the wall as he anchored his hands above her head on the wall. "Stop," he growled. "All I've been hearing is stop! I'm sick of it! I'll do things my own way, whether people like it or not!"

He pushed away from the wall and stomped angrily into the kitchen. Shaking, Abbey stood straight and brushed herself off. 

"Why are we out of the Colombian coffee?!" Hunter yelled. She heard doors and cabinets slam closed and dishes clatter together. Something fell on the floor and smashed.

Sighing, Abbey walked into the kitchen. Hunter was standing over the sink holding an empty coffee cup with broken glass surrounding him. She could see his veins popping out as he supported his weight over the sink. Carefully stepping over the shards of glass, she made her way towards him. She caught a glimpse of tears brimming in his eyes before he turned his head away from her.

"Hunter, let me help you," Abbey said carefully. She gently reached out her hand to touch his arm. He flinched, but made little attempt to get away.

She took his arm and led him around the broken glass and into the living room. After collapsing on the sofa, Hunter ran his hands anxiously through his hair. Immediately, the gel and hairspray fell apart and gave him a wild, messy look.

Gingerly, Abbey sat down beside him. "Please tell me what's wrong," she whispered.

Hunter gave a shuddering sigh. "Just a really hard day at the studio."

Abbey reached up and tucked a stray strand of his hair back into place. She waited patiently as he tried to calm himself down.

He sighed again before continuing. "My manager called. Billboard gave us a pretty bad review..." His voice broke. He didn't try to hide his tears as he covered his trembling mouth with his hand.

She scooted closer to him and held him. He laid his head on her shoulder and sobbed for a few minutes. Wiping his tears, he looked back up at her with glistening eyes. "I'm sorry, this is silly, it was just one review. I'll- I'll get over it," he said quickly.

Abbey shook her head fiercely. "It's okay to cry." She reached up to wipe a tear from her own eye. "It's not the end of the world, but if you need to cry, I'm always here for you. I'll always cry with you. You just," she sighed. "You just have to tell me when these things happen, okay? I need to know when you need help."

Hunter gazed in her eyes. "I know... I mean, you're right. It's just hard for me to admit. I'm so used to putting on a face for the camera and I guess I forget to take it off sometimes."

 "Hey," Abbey lifted his chin. "I understand. All this pressure everyone's putting on you... It's okay to break down sometimes. Take off your mask when you come home. We're a family now. This is how it's supposed to be."

Hunter let out a shaky sigh. "From now on, I'll tell you everything. Without breaking any glasses."

She grinned and took his hand. "Good. I love you." A little half smile appeared on his lips. He leaned forward and kissed her lightly. He twirled her diamond ring around her finger. "You don't... You don't regret marrying me, do you?"

"God, no! Oh my goodness, Hunter, why would you ever think such a thing?"

"Well, I'm always gone. And when I'm actually here, things like this happen. Sometimes I think I'm no good for you. That you deserve someone better."

"I would never think that. And you shouldn't either. I'll love you till forever ends. Then I'll begin again." Abbey hesitated. "Sure, sometimes it's hard sleeping in a cold bed night after night. Sometimes I wonder when I'll see you again. But never do I stop loving you. When you come home, it makes our love that much special because I know that we can get through anything. Together."

Hunter smiled for the first time that night. "Every time I look at you, I think, 'How can I love this woman more?' But then you go and say something like that," he laughed and shook his head. "And I thought I loved you then."

Abbey curled up next to him and laid her head on his chest. "I love that song," she whispered.

"Me too, especially since it became true with you."