I'm Here

The bus hummed softly as it passed the halfway mark on the long trek to Nashville. Cole, the newest addition to the crew's family, lounged lazily on the couch. Somewhere behind closed doors, a muffled melody floated through the air and surrounded Isabelle with the sweetest thoughts. The background music was common. In fact, it was odd if Hunter's music wasn't playing late into the night.

Curled in a couple pillows and a warm blanket, Isabelle carefully flicked a worn book page. She let out a long yawn and tapped on her phone. 1:38 a.m. She glanced at the door that led to Hunter's personal bus studio. Usually she didn't mind when he played for 75 miles, but tonight she hadn't seen him since he stepped off the stage and straight into the studio. It was no surprise; inspiration often struck after a meet and greet or a particularly meaningful show.

Isabelle sighed and pulled her blanket around her as she stood up. Cole perked his ears. "Sorry boy, I'm just going to check on daddy," she said, rubbing his ears. She shuffled over to the door and raised her hand to knock. She stared at the door and hesitated. She could hear the magic that flowed from Hunter's fingertips and into whatever instrument he picked up. Tonight he was playing something intense but strangely calming. A new tune, Isabelle mused.

She walked away from the door and went to the kitchenette. Cole's innocent eyes followed her as she gathered the supplies for coffee. "I think have a better way to get your daddy out here," Isabelle cooed softly. She pressed the button and the coffee machine whirred to life.

At the first whiff of Colombian coffee, Hunter's head popped out from behind the door. "Coffee?" came a groggy yet hopeful voice. The music had stopped but a faint sound of a ticking metronome still came from the room.

Isabelle giggled and nodded. "Your hair's a mess," she replied simply. Hunter gingerly patted his hair that had once been gelled to perfection. Now, hair was sticking up all over the place from long hours of playing and "feeling the music". Isabelle immediately had a warm, smug feeling knowing he was comfortable enough to be around her with hair that bad. Around most people, Hunter hid his bad hair days under a baseball cap.

"Are you, my beautiful and amazing girlfriend, making coffee for me?" he asks. Isabelle shrugged and reached for a cup. Strong arms suddenly circled her blanket-covered waist. Hunter rested his head on her shoulder and whispered, "You're the best."

Calmly, Isabelle poured the coffee and fixings into the cup. As Hunter gratefully reached for the cup, Isabelle quickly raised it to her lips and sipped the hot coffee. Hunter's mouth dropped open. "I thought you were making me coffee!" Hunter cried out. Isabelle smiled playfully at him from behind her coffee cup. "I never said that," she teased. "But maybe if you give me a kiss, I- oh!" In one swift movement, Hunter dipped her backwards and she fell into his arms. "I have never loved one more since I met thee! You are the sun, the moon, the stars! And whatever else is up there!" he proclaimed dramatically. He planted a quick but firm kiss on her lips before tilting her upright again. "Now make me coffee."

With twinkling eyes, Isabelle reached behind him and pulled out another cup. "It just so happens that thy hath another cup, oh dearest Romeo."

Hunter accepted the cup and took a delicate sip. "Ahh, my lady," he wrapped his free arm around her shoulders. "Thee hath done it again. Pure magic, in a disposable cup!" Isabelle burst into giggles and stood on her tip toes to kiss his nose. "I'm glad I made thee happy."

Hunter smiled and offered his arm out. "To the couch, my lady?"

"Why, what a lovely adventure!"

Sitting down, Isabelle nestled into Hunter's chest and wrapped his arm around her shoulders. She breathed a deep sigh in bliss. These moments were what made their crazy relationship worth it.

Her heart pang with sudden dread and sadness. Being apart for so long was incredibly difficult and strained their relationship. Even when they were together, Hunter always had work to do. They made an effort to enjoy the little time they had together, but Isabelle knew they both craved for more.

It was in these moments when they truly treasured each other. Time seemed to stop. Nothing else mattered. Their hearts beat as one and their souls filled with happiness.

"I never want this to end," Isabelle murmured.

Hunter pulled her closer and kissed her forehead.

"I'm always here for you. Even if I'm 10,000 miles away. I'm here."

The wafting smell of coffee, the soft ticking of the metronome, and Cole's steady breathing set the perfect yet blissful mood. Love couldn't help itself. It simply had to be shared with the perfect soul.