Home for the Holidays

She stared at the TV. A cheesy Christmas movie was playing and the hot guy was telling the beautiful girl how much he loved her. Snow fell lightly around them and happy bells of music played in the background. Before their lips could touch, the screen went black. Kristen's hand hovered over the red button on the remote control and with a quiet sigh, she set it down on the coffee table.

All the movies were the same: the guy and girl somehow made it through the chaos and drama and were able to spend Christmas Day together. "They're just fairy tales," she muttered to herself.

She leaned back on the couch and sank into the pillows. Her eyes glanced around the room, looking at all the Christmas decorations she had put up- alone. This year she even had to pick out the tree by herself. It took several days to get the lights just right and keep the floors clean of the fresh bristles.

Kristen cupped her face and leaned forward to stare at the blank screen. Hunter had been gone for two and a half months at this point and with his late nights and early mornings, he rarely had time to call her anymore. Every now and then, he sent a goodmorning text at 1 or 2 a.m. She didn't mind though, just hearing from him made her whole day brighter. But as he neared the end of his most recent tour, those days were few and far between.

Tonight was Christmas Eve and she was spending her night watching cheesy movies and drinking cold cocoa. Kristen sighed again and curled up against a couch pillow. "Hunter, please come home soon," she whispered before drifting off into a deep sleep.

                                                                        ***

Kristen woke up cuddled under blankets. She frowned and looked at the fleece covering her. "That's funny, I don't remember..."

Her eyes flitted to the lit up Christmas tree. Under the branches sat a rather large gift with a huge gaudy bow on the top. She blinked and reached for her glasses.

"Hunter!" she gasped. Kristen flew off the couch and fell into her boyfriend's lap. The ornaments rattled above them as she flung her arms around his neck. Hunter laughed and supported himself with one hand to keep them from toppling over into the tree. With his free arm, he grabbed Kristen and pulled her closer into him in a tight hug.

They fell into a tangled mess of laughter and cries of joy. Hunter wiped a fallen tear from her face and traced her smile with his fingertips.

With his ridiculous grin and huge bow sitting on top of his head, Kristen burst into giggles and gave him a light kiss. "Hunter, you look silly," she said between laughs.

He broke into a goofy smile and ran his fingers through her tangled hair. His smiled wavered as he stroked her cheek. His eyes welled up with tears as he whispered, "I am so sorry..."

Kristen bit her lip and leaned forward so their foreheads touched lightly. She squeezed her eyes shut. "I missed you so much."

Hunter took her hand in his. "I know. There wasn't a day that went by that I wasn't thinking about you. Every love song, every sad song... they were all about you. I'm so sorry," he shook his head. "I should have called you more often. I should have been there for you every day. There's no excuse for what I did and how I made you feel. I'm so sorry," he hung his head.

"Hey," Kristen said softly. She lifted his chin so his eyes were level with hers. "You were busy doing what you love. I know you love me, too. There's no excuse that you need to give."

Hunter gave a frustrated sigh and said, "But I love you! I don't want music to be the only love in my life. And I don't want to lose the best thing that's ever happened to me." He took a deep breath. "Which is why..."

He reached behind him and shakily pulled out a small box with a tiny bow on top. Kristen was too shocked to say much but gasp. She threw her hands over her gaping mouth and felt her eyes welling up with happy tears.

Then, right there in a small Nashville apartment, Hunter Hayes proposed to the love of his life. Kristen barely looked at the ring before she said yes ten times. She tackled him in tears and smiles and murmured, "Hunter Easton Hayes, I love you so very much and I wouldn't trade what we have for the world."

He laughed shakily, not believing what happened. He returned his love with a kiss and pulled her closer, never wanting to leave her side again. But now he never had to.