Green Eyes

"Okay, wait, I've got an important question for you," I said through choking laughter.

"Oh, really? Is it like, really important?" Hunter chuckled. His eyes shone with tears left over from our recent giggle fit.

"Yes! Really, really important! So hush!" I laughed and gently swatted his arm. Hunter let out one last laugh and made his face overly serious. His eyebrows furrowed together and he turned his mouth into an exaggerated frown. He stared at me intensely until I burst out laughing again.

"Hunter! Be serious!"

He threw his hands up in mock defense. "I am being serious! What else do you want from me, woman?"

"Okay, fine, be like that." I rolled my eyes, crossed my arms and pouted. Hunter propped his arm on the bench and poked my side. "Come on, Tinkerbell," he teased me with my nickname. "Don't be a stinker."

I pretended to think about it. "Well, I guess I can ask you," I winked. I covered my eyes with my arm. "What color are my eyes?"

Puzzled, Hunter said, "What?"

"What color are my eyes?" I repeated.

"Green," he answered immediately. He gently pulled my arm away from my face. "Like the sea glass that's left behind by the running tide. Or the new leaves blossoming on the spring trees. Or emeralds that shine under the light after a cleaning from the ring maker. They light up like shooting stars on a dark night. They shimmer and dance like a candle's flame." He stroked my cheek. "Their light will never go out as long as you keep love in your heart and a song on your lips."

I smiled and matched my hand on his cheek. "As long as I have you, there will always be a fire burning in me," I murmured.

His eyes brimmed with tears. He shook his head and laughed. "I don't think I've ever been this emotional with anyone before. But then again," he smiled. "I've never been this much in love with anyone or anything. You even beat music!"

I giggled and squeezed his hand. "I think that's the biggest compliment I've ever heard... You mean that?" I said hopefully.

Hunter leaned forward and gave me a soft kiss. "Every word," he whispered earnestly. He placed his hand on his pocket. "So," he cleared his throat. "Would now be a good time to...?" He pulled out a small box. 

My eyes grew wide. "Oh... my..."

The box popped open and a beautiful diamond shone in the pearl casing. The stone sat on a gorgeous intricate silver ring and had smaller diamonds circling it. I covered my mouth with my hands and immediately felt the tears. Hunter was blurry, but only his words mattered.

"Ash Elizabeth Byrd, I love you more than life itself. I'm uh, heh, I'm no good with words, you know that," he grinned through his nervousness. "But uhm, anyway," he let out a shaky breath. "I love you. You mean the world to me. Next to God, my family, and music, you are like... way up there."

I laughed and wiped away a tear. "Oh wait, I forgot!" Hunter scrambled off the bench and knelt down on one knee in front of me. He took one of my hands in his while I kept one slammed over my mouth. Still in disbelief, I said "Are you proposing to me?"

Hunter laughed and threw his head backwards. "Wow, I pictured this going so much smoother."

Grinning, I leaned forward to stroke his cheek. "Yes."

"Yes... Wait, what?"

I knelt down to match Hunter's level. "Yes, I will marry you. Nothing would make me happier than spending the rest of my life with you."

Hunter's smile burst out and his eyes scrunched into smile lines. "Really?"

"Yes, really!" I cried out.

"But I had a whole speech planned out!" Hunter winked.

I threw myself into his arms and sobbed into his neck. "I'm sure I'll hear it in a song soon. And don't worry," I said, smiling into his glistening eyes. "They're happy tears."

"Your eyes," he whispered. "Definitely the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. Green. Perfect green." His eyes suddenly went quizzical. "By the way, why did you want to know if I knew your eye color?"

"I guess I just wanted to see how much you loved me. But you answered my question beyond my expectations."

"I love you."

"I love you, too."