7. The Prince From The Contested Lands

☀️ JEAN ☀️

I respected Eric's need to have all the extra pillows in our bed. I missed the first time that we cuddled to a better sleep. I thought that I should tone down a bit.

🌺 🌺 🌺

The strong scent of umami mixed with those of mild roses and lavender filled the air as Eric and I walked into the dining room. Everyone was busy chatting except for the new face: the prince who represented Anastown in the Alliance Affairs Council, with Eric and I. Only one seat was vacant to complete the representatives of the four allies.

I sat beside the new comer. I gave him a cold grin because he was seated beside Eric's chair, my former place in the dining table.

I am taller than him for at least four inches when seated. His dark chocolate eyes focused with Eric. His dark skin showed his Anasian descent while his caramel locks suggested his Seresian lineage. I looked from his head to toe: for he only wore tucked and wrinkled buttoned up pastel orange shirt, dark blue pants and a sandals which I felt like he was just going elsewhere but not a royal dinner.

I wore at least a coat without a tie, not to be too formal. But he was too under dressed. I know I was not that into formalities and customs but at the very least, the basics I was very well aware of.

"Hi there. What is your name?" I forced a smiled, reached for the goblet of water gracefully and drank from it.

"George, Prince George of Montana." His tone was composed but arrogant; I didn't like it.

He did not hesitated to bow or mind a handshake.

"I know where you're from. The contested duchy." I chuckled and raised a brow while trying my best to keep my voice at a minimum but still clear for him.

"You're nicer than I thought. Who. Are. You?"

I couldn't believe the way he spoke. "It is true I isn't so popular but let me introduce myself." I cleared my throat so Eric glanced. I stood up, bowed and offered a handshake. "I am Prince Jean, second in line to the throne of Anbeia." After my formalities, I sat. "Since I'm nice enough for you, next time, ask somebody if the seat you took belongs with somebody else."

"I'm sorry. I asked a servant a while ago and he said the seat isn't taken. I understood the seating arrangement here, and I knew that this chair beside me was for the crown-prince of the Thals that's why I meant to occupy this one. I want to be close to him." That was the last mistake he would want to commit.

"Oh, sure. But next time, find another seat. That particular seat was already occupied every meal, for how many days, by me." My voice was louder so others would hear me, as well as Eric.

"Clearly, he did not wish for me to move away from him." He looked victorious, glancing at Eric then back to me.

"Do you mind if I ask him?"

"I won't. Go ahead."

"Eric," I grinned. "do you want me seated beside you" I looked at him as if he should understand the context of what I was saying, "when dinning?"

"I don't see anything wrong with that."

"Or do you wish for me to stay here on this seat for as long as I want? " George inquired as well.

"Uh, you could." Eric answered as if I was not there, that hurt.

"Fine. You stay there." Defeated, I urged to be able to get back with Prince George of the Contested Lands soon.