CHAPTER 38: The Ball

JAMES

"James! Oh, how dashing you look!" Quortia, in her champagne colored gown, stretched her arms to embrace me as I entered their house.

Her hair was in a elegant bun. Diamonds wrapped around her wrists and hung on her ears. She was much older than my mother but the way she dressed tonight certainly made her look younger. I could imagine Lucy growing old to be even more beautiful than her.

"Thank you. You look beautiful, too. I hope I'm not late, again," I said after receiving her motherly hug.

"Oh, no! Horace and I are ready. We're just waiting for Lucy. You should take a seat in the living room. I'm sure she'll be down in a minute," she smiled.

It was finally Saturday, the day for the ball. At around six in the evening, I was already dressed up after having dinner. I wore a black Blazer, pinstriped dark grey waist coat, white dress shirt, grey tie, and a pair of dress pants that matched my waist coat's pattern. My brown hair was combed neatly.

The plan was to have one of the Preston's cars take me to their residence so we could all go to the palace together. I thought it was a good idea. Apart from I didn't know anything about the place, I also didn't want to go there alone.

I waited in my room and never came out until Adam came to tell me that the car had arrived. Good thing my parents weren't home. They didn't know about any of this. But my parents weren't the only reason why I didn't come out of the room. Recalling what Adam told me about some glitch from our security system and how Chip knew about the ball and saying that she was watching me, it wasn't hard to connect the freaking dots. She literally was watching me!

To think that once I came out of my room, she'd see my every step made my stomach flip in a weird, uncomfortable way. Last night was the last time she and I talked. Even this morning, she never once called again to bug me about not going. It was a relief. Maybe she finally understood and agreed with my idea?

I sat awkwardly on one of the couches in the living room while Lucy's mom disappeared somewhere, probably to go to her husband. Two maids came and placed a glass of apple juice and a slice of red velvet cake on the center table. Qourtia must have told them to bring it. I wasn't really hungry but I thanked them politely for the hospitality.

They smiled and left. So as not to seem rude, I decided to at least drink some of the apple juice.

"So you're into balls, huh?"

I almost choked when I saw Nicholas was already standing in front of me. I didn't even notice him enter the living room or maybe I was too distracted.

"W-What? Balls?"

He laughed and plumped into one of the couches. He was also in his formal suit similar to mine. Though he wasn't wearing any waist coat nor a necktie. Just a black coat with subtle, intricate, gold patterns, black shirt, and black pants. His hair looked like he just combed it with his fingers before going on his merry way.

We both looked like we were going to prom.

"I'm just kidding."

I shook my head and chuckled. "I'm not into balls. I'm into your sister."

His look became serious before he sighed and shook his head. He looked behind me, where the entrance to the living room was.

"Well, she's here. Don't gawk, it's embarrassing."

I stood up and turned around. My lips immediately parted when I saw her, entering the room like the goddess that she was.

Sparkly, wine red night gown that fell to the ground wrapped her body perfectly. Her long, blonde hair were styled in waves that every time she moved, they seemed to bounce in grace. Just above the tube of her gown was the necklace I gave her. It blended perfectly with her other jewelries. Everything she wore accented her eyes and proved me wrong when I thought that they couldn't get any bluer.