CHAPTER 28: Atlanta or Otis?

James

'That is if he does not tell me who ordered him to kill you'

The last words she said before she left three days ago kept hunting me in my head. Turned out she wasn't joking when she told me I wouldn't see her for a few days. She never showed up to class.

That night, she left me confused. I couldn't start to count the questions floating in my head day and night from the moment she pressed on the gas and drove away. I tried approaching Emi a couple of times but somehow I felt like she was avoiding me. She would talk to Jack and Sandra but never much to me. I decided not to push it. Even if the circumstances were different and she was willing to talk to me, I still wouldn't know where to start or what sort of questions I was supposed to ask.

At this point, waiting for Chip to come back seemed like the best option for me. I could only hope that she meant what she said about explaining everything to me the next time we saw each other.

"James!" I snapped out of my thoughts when I realized that Mr. Carlayle, my private tutor for corporate management, has been waving his hand to my face for the past two minutes.

"Y-Yes." I straightened my back and squinted my eyes to focus on his powerpoint presentation in front of me.

He has been talking nonstop in front me for the past two hours but my mind just wasn't with him. I felt like I was about to have a stiff neck from nodding unconsciously at whatever he was saying.

He sighed. "You seem tired."

"N-No, it's fine. I just have a lot in my mind lately."

"I understand," he nodded, "I heard your grandfather hasn't woken up yet."

"Yeah, I was planning to visit him yesterday but my parents said it's better if I didn't." I rubbed my temple. "For now, at least."

"Hmm, well, in that case, I think it's best if we continue this discussion next time." He started gathering his stuff and putting them into his black business bag.

I decided not to protest because he was right. I needed to think or I'll lose my mind.

I looked at him gratefully. "Thank you, Mr. Carlayle. I appreciate it."

"Don't mention it." He patted my shoulder as we walked out of the library and towards the front door. "Just make sure to at least read the presentation I left you."

"Of course."

I watched as his car drove away. My gaze roamed my surroundings. The sun seemed more dazzling than ever, making the clear waters of the large fountain in front of our house twinkle magnificently. Everything was quiet except for the birds singing their poems, the tune traveling along the gentle warm wind.

I turned on my heel and went back inside. I took my phone out of my pocket and sent Adam a message, asking him when he was coming back. He had accompanied my parents to go and visit Grandfather so we haven't had a chance to talk about the thing I told him to look into. Although he already told me that he found something interesting, he insisted on telling me personally. So I had no choice but to wait for him too. Somehow, people just kept leaving me hanging.

I was walking towards the kitchen to grab some snacks when I stopped in front of Father's study. I stood there, staring at the door. My hands itched to twist the knob. I had always thought that Father just valued privacy so much that he didn't want people coming in without a direct permission from him. But after everything that's happened for the past few days, I was starting to doubt if that was the only reason.