CHAPTER 22: Idiot Quantity

JAMES

"I told you that in order to get the Expected Value, you just have to multiply the sum of rows by the sum of columns and divide them with the overall total. Which part of this do you still not understand?!" I whipped my head to the left just in time to see Sandra's frustrated gaze on my best friend.

When we got back to the department for our Statistics class, we were the very last group to arrive. Professor Wednesday, our Statistics teacher, insisted that we were late even though she was just very early. Without really explaining things, she immediately paired us up with each other. Sandra and Jack had been paired together, Emi was paired with another girl who came in only a few seconds before us, and me with Chip, regrettably.

She gave a discussion about gathering data and testing relationships through Levels of Satisfaction. I enjoyed listening to her and wrote down a bunch of notes while Chip – whom I was forced to sit down beside with – remained utterly still. Her hands were tucked inside her coat's pockets with her head facing the front. I knew she was asleep behind those dark glasses of hers. I didn't take any more notice of her until the Professor finally gave us an activity which prompted me to awaken her.

"None! I understand none of it!" Jack quietly exclaimed. Unlike me – who was significantly better at Math – Jack hated anything related to the subject. He preferred Biology and any subjects that had animals in it. He said his brain seemed to just shut down when given a math problem. And he being paired up with Sandra to solve a statistical data was simply comical. They have been bickering at each other for the past twenty minutes.

"That's because you're not even trying to, Jackass!" Sandra retorted. They were merely whispering so only a few of us, who were closer to them, could hear. Professor Wednesday - a blonde woman of age forty five and wore simple black pencil skirt and white polo shirt - was busy typing on her computer. I couldn't help but snicker when Jack raked his fingers to his hair exasperatedly.

A tap on the table made me turn my head back.

"Are you done?" Chip asked, referring to the activity.

"Almost," I replied.

She nodded. "Then, make haste. Time is almost up."

I rolled my eyes. "Yes, well, thanks for the help, by the way."

Her one eyebrow peeked up from her glasses as she raised her left hand, showing me her bandaged palm. I sighed when I saw one corner of her lip rose.

I looked back to the papers on the table and grumpily answered the remaining problems. Why did I even bother waking her up? As much as I liked to answer the problems by myself, it irritated me to see her just sitting there like a Lady, doing nothing at all. I understood that her hand was wounded but nobody told her to grab the bloody broken bottle.

Satisfied with my answer, I roughly put down my pen on the table. "Done."

I rolled my eyes when she perked her head to scan the papers. Suddenly, I could smell her cologne when she leaned in. Is that a. . . baby cologne?

"What?" she asked, looking up to me.

"What?" I countered.

I didn't realize I had said it out loud but I wasn't planning on repeating it.

She shook her head and focused back on the answers. I quickly studied her face, which was now only a few inches away from mine, and noticed a few tiny freckles on the bridge of her nose and across her chubby cheeks.

"You have got three of them wrong," she stated as she sat back up and looked at me. I only continued staring at her. She looked really stupid with those glasses. At the same time, I imagined how uncomfortable it must be to be sensitive to lights and to have to wear hideous glasses when you're already not very pretty without them.

Realizing that I had been staring at her too long for my liking, I whipped my head back to the table.

"W-What? What are you talking about?" I asked. She pointed out the three problems that she claimed to be wrong. I quickly grabbed my calculator and typed in the equations but the results were the same. "They're not wrong, you chipmunk. How would you even know just by glancing at it?"

"Because the numbers are just too big, stupid," she replied and snatched the calculator from my hand. She used only her right hand in typing the numbers with her left one still in her pocket. After a few seconds, she shoved the device to my face. "Your exponents were wrong. You put a positive on it when it should have been otherwise. Sometimes the smallest mistakes can make the biggest changes, Alexander."

I hastily checked her answers and I bit my lower lip when I saw that she was right. "W-Well, it was a common mistake. And don't call me stupid! I have a higher IQ than you think."

She scorned. "Yes, if the 'I' meant idiot, don't you say?"

My jaw dropped, dumfounded. No one has ever said such things to me. "W-What did you say?"

I gritted my teeth when all she did was smirk, like she always did.

* * *

Author:

Hey guys! So this chapter was quiet short, so I've noticed. But no matter, the next chapter's surely going to be much longer and much much more interesting and I hope you're ready for some action. 👊🏼 Just a tiny spoiler, Eli's going to show off her agent side and maybe we're finally going to meet Agent Clark again, who knows?

I know! ;)

Do vote and comment, if you so wish. Nonetheless, you reading this has already been greatly appreciated.

STAY SAFE! ❤️