XXV | Killer Crown

This chapter is dedicated to Shaquille_Oatmeal54

You've shown so much support from the beginning and I appreciate you so much!

Well. I guess I'd have to say it started with a kiss and a crown.

The Six of Swords had seven members. Jauregui, Yvette, Rolfe, Auguste, Louis, Charlie, and of course, my great grandfather, Maurizio. They were all friends from a young age, and Yvette was the star among them, the only woman.

I'll be honest here. She was―well, it's quite inappropriate of me to say it, but she went between each of those six boys more times than anyone could remember. She owned all of them, body and soul, and not a single of them knew that she was sleeping around with their friends.

Our story, however, starts the day she decided she want the Egyptian Jewels. Jauregui was the smartest of all of them, a genius, headed for a Nobel prize. But he was ensnared in that web of hers, and when she proposed wealth and fame, he agreed. So they made a plan.

You probably already know it. They walked in there like they belonged, and they walked right out. How did they take the jewels without anyone knowing? How did they hide them? Even I can't tell you that.

But the plan was never the important part. Our story doesn't end with those Jewels.

My great grandfather, Maurizio, was the first to know―to realize what Yvette was. He saw her kiss Jauregui when Yvette had promised to marry him only just before.

So he decided to steal the Jewels from his own friends. And he did. He did. It cost him his family, his life . . . everything, but by god, he did do it. After that, I couldn't tell you what happened. I know Yvette and Jauregui ended up marrying, but what happened to their family . . . I don't know. And the rest of the group, well . . .

You see, when my great grandfather decided to hide those jewels from the very people he had stolen them with, he started a war. As soon as they realized he had betrayed him, they hunted him down, chasing him from corner to corner of the earth.

You heard that he died at 72. After more than fifty years, he confessed to his crime. The initial theft. But he never admitted to his second crime―hiding the jewels from his very own family.

All he had was a single ruby. He never revealed what he did with everything else, but it was that ruby, that one ruby, that marked him as true. So when Yvette found him in days, it was revenge that she wanted. Even so many years later.

Yes, he died at 72. Yes, he died a week after confessing. But it wasn't by accident, and nobody cared. He was old, and Yvette finished him off. Call it a guilty conscious, maybe. But it wasn't what killed him. It was her.

Of course, this was a hundred years ago. But my grandfather told me as soon as his father died, he went looking for the jewels. He was in debt, and he'd be sent to jail soon to work off his labor, if he didn't find the wealth.

Even still, his father didn't help him. And once he was dead, it was up to my grandfather to find them. He didn't.

My father and I . . . we've lived like this. Nothing remarkable. When my father died a few years back, he told me one thing. Look where no one has ever looked. What kind of clue is that? What kind of goddamn hint is that?

Sorry. I'm sorry. Sometimes I can't control it. Just the thought of that money, all that money . . . well, I'll be blunt. It would have saved my marriage.

In the end, I suppose it all came down to that kiss my father wasn't supposed to see. He hated Yvette after that, and what he did with the crown . . . well, I always thought it'd have something to do with her.

That's really all I know, though. I'm sorry I couldn't help you more . . . but you do have my name, right? To add to your article?

I just want my wife to see it. And maybe Harry, too. He's my son. I miss him.Do you mind keeping that part in? In case they read it?

>>>

There's a little clue in there if you're hoping to find it. The Crown Jewels are important, but I couldn't help feeling a little sorry for the guy. Too bad Angel and Cade aren't really reporters.

From the moon and back,
Sarai

P.S. Keep commenting and voting! I love your support! I think I know who I'm going to choose the next chapter to be dedicated to.