63. Home to Rohan

Start from the beginning

"I'm going to do something she will hate. We... We will not be royalty." She wondered if Legolas had abdicated already and how his father had reacted.

Grandmama looked surprised. "No? Why?"

When Wynne explained her grandmother listened in silence, nodding a few times. "I see. Dear me, yes she will be angry." An almost invisible smile hinted in the corner of the old woman's mouth.

When Grandmama had left, long skirts rustling and the familiar scent of lavender lingering behind, Wynne tried to muster willpower for her upcoming task. Her grandmother had not seemed angry, that was something at least. She wouldn't oppose Mother openly, nobody did, but she seemed to support the plan. And moral support was better than none at all.

With slow steps she went to the sitting room. Mother was busy writing a long list, betrothal feast dishes, it looked like. Father just came in from the stables and Grandmama had taken her favorite chair next to her husband. This was an opportune moment with the whole family gathered together.

"I have something to say."

At her serious expression all their eyes turned her way.

"Yes? Make it quick." Mother's goosepen hovered over the piece of parchment.

"Legolas has resigned his crown," she said bluntly, not bothering to wrap it in. At least she hoped he had. "Therefore we won't stay with his father or have a grand wedding. Éowyn and Faramir have offered Legolas a position as forester in Ithilien so we shall live there."

Mother stared at her in disbelief, face whitening. Red spots formed on her cheeks. "What did you say?"

"He's no prince anymore."

"What?" She slowly rose.

Wynne took a step backwards, wetting her lips. "He is–"

"I heard you," she snapped. "What is the meaning of this? He cannot do that."

"He can and he did."

"I don't believe you." Mother grabbed her arm, shaking her roughly. "I don't believe you. Tell me you are lying."

"I-I'm not l-lying." Her teeth rattled from the shaking but she didn't try to resist.

"Thranduil would never allow it. He is too proud!"

"L-legolas w-will not ask p-permission first."

"So he has not done it yet?" She abruptly let go of Wynne.

"He will when he gets home." The room spun around her and she tried to keep her balance. "If he came home sooner than us, he has done it, if not, he will do it shortly."

Wynne was not prepared for the slap and this time she fell, painfully tumbling into a chair.

"How could you? After everything, how could you?" Mother pulled her on her feet, slapping her again and again.

"Morwen, easy now." Father's voice sounded distant through the ringing in her ear. To her surprise she saw he had caught her mother's arm, stopping her from another strike.

"She thinks she is clever. Outsmarting her own mother. But I will not allow it, I will not have my daughter marry some common ranger." She shrugged herself free from Father but didn't hit again. She seemed to be slowly composing herself.

Suddenly she smiled cooly. "Well, seeing as the terms of betrothal have changed, I now oppose this marriage."

"No!"

"Yes. We have turned down Lord Gammal's offer for your hand several times, mostly because of his age. But I now see no other option than to accept him and at least increase our lands and wealth with the match. I believe he was handsome in his youth; with luck, your children will inherit his traits."